Tiny hole found on the Valve's thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd say the latter. The LDS has changed hands 3 times and from my conversation with the LDS manager she's never encountered these types of valves. The irony of all this, I bought these tanks and valves from the same shop though from the original owner:) But yeah, nice to have other LDS in town.

..... and they blame us when things continue to spiral downwards....

I do have some pity for the "Brick & Mortar" guys, but they continue t do nothing to help themselves, especially now in the day of the educated consumer. Still too much BS and Black Magic attempted. We are down around here from 10+ to 3+ shops over the last 20 years. I am amazed that some continue their shenanigans....

..... and they blame us when things continue to spiral downwards....

I do have some pity for the "Brick & Mortar" guys, but they continue t do nothing to help themselves, especially now in the day of the educated consumer. Still too much BS and Black Magic attempted. We are down around here from 10+ to 3+ shops over the last 20 years. I am amazed that some continue their shenanigans....

What about the monkeyshines?

A great educational thread. To the OP props on trying to go back and educate the store manager. For giggles, you might try to figure out the owner and talk to them. If I owned a shop and had a customer conversation that basically went like the following:

I wanted to give you a heads up that I recently came into get a fill on a cylinder that I bought at your shop albeit before you took it over. I could not get a fill because your employees did not understand how some valves are made.

Even after I verified it with the mfg and tried to educate your employees they still refused. So I had to take my business else where. I really liked your shop but after this experience I am not sure I can recommend it any more.

I would be pissed.

Last edited:
image.jpg

Here is the same dang pinhole on the threads of my soup Thermous!

I purchased a filter assembly that takes the Coltri filter cartridge 0521 and before I used it I found I could not open the caps. After trying everything except extreme action, I sent it back to the LDS in sydney. He managed to open it with a vice and stillson wrench. We both agreed I had done nothing wrong. I got another from him and also the original at a much lower price now that the body was marked. After using them a few times I found the caps could lock on.

After some further investigation I found that the design being 2 O rings on the cap, one at the top face, and a second on the bottom thread face. Air was leaking in between the O rings and locking the thread. Removing one O ring removed the problem. I advised the manufacturer and they appreciated the feedback.

I have some DIN valves that have a similar hole in the threaded section where the regulator screws in. I assume to relieve pressure should the O ring leak on the face. Not that I could or would unscrew a pressurised reg anyway.

Valves are not made of steel ask the LDS where the hell is the rust coming from. No Dont ask them leave and find one that is honest. Ive never seen a hole but all of my stuff is old USD valves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom