Advanced Maritime EMS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think we lost George Price, the original poster!
I intend to keep taking available local land courses as well, but from what I have seen so far, in my area, there is a skewed focus on Narcan and how to save OD victims. Sigh.

. . .Yeah, basic competency in F/A skills - what a concept. For a diver with < 100 dives, rescue diver and no EMT training sounds like a plan eh? Imagine if every non professional diver had basic competency first before chasing the big splashy stuff... But oh yeah, that sounds dull too me too.

For the record, I would suggest Wilderness F/A with a good instructor as a good next step. The EFR portion of rescue diver seemed lackluster IMO. After that perhaps EMT-F or A. The WFA course is designed to treat injuries where delay in transport is expected. I also suggest aligning with a facility or org. that allows repeated training with a CPR doll, preferably one with a ventilation/compression readout.

CPR is not hard but one needs to spend a lot of time honing it so the actions become effective and somewhat natural. I was fortunate to train as an EMT-A in a University setting where we could spend hours whenever we wanted on that skill. Some did, some didn't. I was one of the ones that did and don't regret it.

I have also taken two different chamber day courses learning how they operate and going for a ride. Having learned how a chamber works is interesting in knowing what to expect downstream but won't help the dying diver on the deck of a dive boat. There it's boring old F/A. So, until one has that aspect fully covered...

Call me dull that way. I care about the basics that actually matter instead of trying to get a contact high off of what the cool kids are doing.

I'm talking to Kev. I've already said what you do is fine and I wished you well.

You see it as negative but I see throwing some one off chamber course out there as the next logical step in FA training to be just him boasting about what he does. There's a history there. And, if you go back to the original post I think what I am suggesting is in line with that ie: what happens after rescue diver. If you think it is negative to argue that gaining basic F/A competency before taking advanced and mostly non applicable course material is a negative I don't know what to say. I can only suggest that I have been on scene at many accidents where people stand around because they don't know what to do or are too unsure of themselves to not voice my opinion in that regard.

If all a person has taken is the EFR portion of rescue they are probably not there yet as far as solidifying those core skills. Do you jump ahead and ignore that, or build a solid base that may be of some use, down the road, whether on a boat deck or as a chamber attendant.
Kevrumbo, those training in so cal are a great deal, including room and board, plus I have relatives in the area. I am going to talk to kids about summer trip. Thank you!
You're welcome Francesea!

I think the Volunteer Chamber Crew Program along with the optional Emergency Response Diver and Emergency Dive Accident Management continuing education courses are great ways to sample & explore the experience of the entire organizational chain of emergency rescue and care for a diving accident, without necessarily committing as yet to any full time professional or vocational training & certification regimen (i.g. Divemaster; Hyperbaric Chamber/Dive Medic Technician; LA County Baywatch Lifeguard/Paramedic; US Coast Guard Flight Medic; Emergency/Hyperbaric Medicine Nurse, Physician's Assistant, or Physician MD-Ph.D).

Use and apply the basic life saving skills you have learned in a real world and active clinical setting, and you'll be ready knowing what to do and what to expect as a recreational diver First Responder managing a frontline dive accident scene.

(You'll definitely won't be as complacent, uninspiring and cynical as DaleC above)

Last edited:
. . .
I intend to keep taking available local land courses as well, . .
Btw, some of our Chamber Crew teammates were trained in Wilderness First Aid as well and recommended this organization for courses:

NOLS Wilderness Medicine Institute

"Use and apply the basic life saving skills you have learned in a real world and active clinical setting, and you'll be ready knowing what to do and what to expect as a recreational diver First Responder managing a frontline dive accident scene."

So, you are basically saying what I've said all along though I tend to suggest following a linearly progressive track instead of jumping from EFR to full fledged chamber course with nothing in between. Curious where you think people pick up those basic life saving skills? Did your buddies take the Wilderness F/A course before or after the chamber course? humm...

You'll definitely won't be as complacent, uninspiring and cynical as DaleC above

Thanks Kev, coming from you in comparison I'll take that as a great compliment :thumb:

"Use and apply the basic life saving skills you have learned in a real world and active clinical setting, and you'll be ready knowing what to do and what to expect as a recreational diver First Responder managing a frontline dive accident scene."

So, you are basically saying what I've said all along though I tend to suggest following a linearly progressive track instead of jumping from EFR to full fledged chamber course with nothing in between. Curious where you think people pick up those basic life saving skills? Did your buddies take the Wilderness F/A course before or after the chamber course? humm...
Many of our SoCal Chamber Volunteers are active divers and boaters as well as Sierra backcountry trekkers, hikers, climbers & telemark XC skiers -so makes sense that they're just as prepared in Wilderness First Aid for that environment as well. And so they come for the only volunteer program of its kind in the US & the world at the Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber to specifically learn how to treat critical hyper-acute diving accident casualties.

No matter how you choose to spin it & nitpick it DaleC, you just keep on putting your foot in your mouth. . .

Last edited:
Well some one sure does...

Hyper-acute diving accident casualties. Does the Chamber actually use that term or are you just making it up?

The only time I've heard hyper acute used in health care is specifically in terms of describing a stroke phase.

Last edited:
Howdy Folks,
You didn't lose me and I'm grateful for all your advice. In all this posting I have learned:
a. The medical scuba community is very passionate about this subject.
b. I had not refined my questions very well.
c. My current EMT status is sufficient once I add long term patient care (+1 hour patient support) and the techniques for diver specific medical trauma.
I will be taking NOLS Wilderness EMT for my further development, as I am unlikely to be a shipboard EMS provider. Than you all for your input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom