Building 2nd setup. Pony inflater/octo question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

40's are the least negative of the small luxfer cylinders, so they make the best pony bottles because they will cause less of a trim adjustment than any of the other bottles. At less than an inch larger OD *the valve and reg is the biggest offender in my experience*, and with length not mattering on a slung bottle, I don't understand why people buy smaller bottles, but that's their decision.

The advantage of the AL19 over the AL40 is that its empty weight is half that of an AL40, 8 pounds vs 15 pounds. It makes a difference in total weight of kit for water entries and exits, and when carrying gear around.

Lately I've been using an HP40, 12 pounds negative when full with reg, works great in cold water because I take half the weight off my belt. I wouldn't use it on a tropical dive.

Well your opinions convinced me this idea isn't great. Also I found it the inflator octo isn't easy to get parts for so I will either Sell it cheap it toss it. I'll spend the money on a nice sling setup instead of another inflator octo.

Not just SCUBA specific but just because you own some ________________ (insert whatever into the blank) does not mean you should use it. Especially in some odd purpose.

But you know, folks do use ancillary bottles to run drysuits or tools.

N

Running your inflator off of a pony bottle is also going to make your hose routing a mess. You'll need to have a hose long enough to go to the inflator and at the same time be streamlined and not looping out in some weird way.

It sure does, and it makes me a bit nervous when I rig my pony that way to use an old Double Hose, however I do not use a Air 2 type unit so the second is on the pony. I believe in the ability to ditch equipment, if necessary, and this configuration would hinder my ability so I get quite careful. Since I do this solo, I don't have to bring anyone else up to speed on my mess.

Bob

Like Bob I sometimes use an inflator off my pony for powering my drysuit when diving vintage but otherwise no.
One problem is needing to top off your pony too often, or not and risk diving with too little reserve.
Another is sometimes diving with pony and sometimes not and having to swap inflator hoses back and forth accordingly.
And the last is futzing with hose routing. I have a couple of short lp whips that route nicely but the standard sizes require tucking and routing gymnatics.

Personally I find for rec diving the 19 to be the best size pony. Small but with enough reserve for most no stop dives. If I'm going deeper, longer, I'll just use ID's.

Back
Top Bottom