What is the future of GUE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If there are any senior GUE divers, your input would be appreciated.

The organization has built a very solid reputation for quality instruction and mentorship and has built a culture of like-minded people all around the world who dive in a similar manner. This has a certain appeal to serious divers who are seeking superior training than what the shop around the corner is promising.

It has been slow to accept changes. It resisted computers, CCR and still does not accept side mount and solo diving. In the age of backmount this style of training and diving was obviously superior to most other options. Would GUE still have the same appeal in another 10 years?

Are GUE numbers increasing or are they decreasing? I understand this is not an agency that has ever measured its strength by its numbers but how dofficult would it be to find a GUE buddy 10 - 15 years from now?

GUE does do side mount where side mount makes sense. They don't teach it because the situations that require side mount tend to demand customized solutions, which are kind of hard to standardize. The letter from the editor in Quest 16.3 lays out the position pretty well. The leaders are aggressively opposed to solo diving and I doubt that will change, as it is kind of against the whole idea of being part of a team.

Being slow to adopt and not trying to cash in on every fad that comes along is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact it was what drew me to GUE. Thinking of agencies who try to market tech or rebreather courses to divers who have problems remembering how to setup their single tank OW equipment.

Sidemount is a useful tool for some situations. Is it the best tool for all kinds of diving? I don't think so. But a GUE SM course is something I look forward to.

Solo diving....you can bring backup equipment, but you can't bring a backup brain. Everyone makes mistakes some time. I've been in a few situations where someone followed the wrong line or made a wrong call. Nothing happened because buddies were there to correct the situation. I hope GUE never changes their stand on this.

I'm not a senior GUE diver but I started diving DIR pre-GUE and took a fundies course around 2003. Cave 1 and 2 followed around 2004 and 2005.

I joke that I lost my GUE handshake back in 2008 when I went CCR and subsequently started to use computers, RBs, etc.. But it's just a joke as my GUE training is always in the back of my mind and helps me to make an informed decision, no matter how far off the DIR track that decision happens to be, whether it's CCR, Sidemount, Monkey diving, etc.

My hope is the GUE sticks around as they are a real alternative to the rest of the crap out there that passes for scuba instruction (especially technical) these days.

I think that most divers who hold a Tech or Cave cert from GUE will keep their cards current knowing the dedication involved to EARN the card. Along with that comes GUE mentors who steer divers seeking an advanced diving education in GUE's direction. That leads to a net gain year after year, even acounting for attrition from those who fall out of the sport.

I am definitely not a senior GUE diver. However, some anecdotal evidence is provided by my BSAC club. In the last year and a half, 4 of us have taken Fundies. One has gone on to pass Tech 1. So, in the UK at least, GUE clearly still has quite a strong appeal.

There were already other GUE divers at the club.

I'm doing fundamentals this weekend. I'm looking forward to meeting up with GUE divers and starting projects going forward.

It's nice to dive for an agency that carries out research, has strict training and safety regimes and is non profit.

I think rather than have 100 different peoples opinions it's better to read it from the horse's mouth so to speak.

I have attached the Quest article in which JJ lays out his feelings on rebreathers and sidemount from quest 14.3.

Whilst it is proprietary I'm pretty sure that they would rather have people read the actual article than 100 different gue divers opinions of the article. If you would like to read more quest then you can become a member at gue.com.

In answer to the OP I think that gue will be just fine in 10-15 years time. There are plenty of people who are dedicated to moving the project forward and new divers like me are joining all the time!

Attachments

• Defining GUE's Core Values-SM, CCR, and DIR, J. Jablonski.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,131
I have zero GUE certifications, but I know a few guys in the org. I've never asked, but I don't believe they care about increasing market share or number of certs. I think they care about quality instead.

Being slow to adopt and not trying to cash in on every fad that comes along is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact it was what drew me to GUE. Thinking of agencies who try to market tech or rebreather courses to divers who have problems remembering how to setup their single tank OW equipment.

Sidemount is a useful tool for some situations. Is it the best tool for all kinds of diving? I don't think so. But a GUE SM course is something I look forward to.

Solo diving....you can bring backup equipment, but you can't bring a backup brain. Everyone makes mistakes some time. I've been in a few situations where someone followed the wrong line or made a wrong call. Nothing happened because buddies were there to correct the situation. I hope GUE never changes their stand on this.

This! I only joined the crowd of "GUE divers" two or three years ago, but I was attracted to GUE for exactly the reason you articulated.

Also, I keep in mind that GUE teaches a diving system. (Disclaimer: The following is just my personal take on it--I am not "senior" or affiliated with GUE in any way beyond having taken Fundies.) The system is broader than just the gear/configuration. There are some core philosophies or principles that transcend the gear. Part of the system is the idea of team diving--a "unified" team. (So, yeah, I guess that will always preclude solo diving.) Not that non-GUE divers don't dive in teams--I believe it's common to all tech regimes--but in the GUE system the team philosophy is at the core or root of the system. Another core philosophy is uniformity of gear, at least among teammates. I can't imagine that a team choosing to dive sidemount is heretical to GUE core principles. Still another core philosophy that comes to mind is physical fitness. It sounds harsh and discriminatory, but the idea of my fellow divers and potential teammates being reasonably fit appeals to me. There may be others that don't immediately come to mind. But my main point here is that GUE is not just about the gear.

GUE will always appeal to divers who want to dive with like-minded divers. GUE will always appeal to divers who want to dive a system, even if some peripheral aspect of the system, such as a particular item of gear that the team adopts, is beyond what was taught in any formal GUE course. In GUE courses, very specific gear configurations and procedures are taught, because that provides a foundation. On the point of uniformity, everyone is taught the same foundation. One could dive exactly as they were taught in class and be content for years. One could find GUE teammates anywhere in the world and presumably dive with each other that way without speaking the same language. But that doesn't prohibit a GUE team from expanding on the foundation, so long as any changes are made with the core philosophies in mind. Just as there are no scuba police, there are no GUE police.

With respect to change, despite the "DIR" stigma, GUE doesn't explicitly profess to teach "the best" system of all possible systems. GUE teaches what a bunch of highly experienced tech divers have found to work well. I have not interpreted GUE's teachings as saying that nothing else works well. I am confident that when enough of a consensus emerges from experienced GUE divers, GUE will act on it. And what does that even mean? Making a change in their published Standards? If a diver deviates from a standard, does that necessarily make him a non-GUE diver? Is he automatically excommunicated? In sum, I think a "GUE diver" is one who adheres to certain core philosophies. Published GUE Standards are what they are.

Last edited:
If there are any senior GUE divers, your input would be appreciated.

The organization has built a very solid reputation for quality instruction and mentorship and has built a culture of like-minded people all around the world who dive in a similar manner. This has a certain appeal to serious divers who are seeking superior training than what the shop around the corner is promising.

It has been slow to accept changes. It resisted computers, CCR and still does not accept side mount and solo diving. In the age of backmount this style of training and diving was obviously superior to most other options. Would GUE still have the same appeal in another 10 years?

Are GUE numbers increasing or are they decreasing? I understand this is not an agency that has ever measured its strength by its numbers but how dofficult would it be to find a GUE buddy 10 - 15 years from now?
It would seem to me that GUE's numbers are increasing if the number of instructors is any indication. I've never had any problem finding a GUE buddy and I don't see that changing for the negative.

I think its smart for GUE to be slow to change. If there isn't a compelling reason to change and what the organization is doing *works*...why change at all? GUE's approach to diving is clearly effective and works very well almost anywhere, from deep wrecks, Philippine jungle caves, long range deep cave diving, shallow reefs, and everything in between. The one spot it really doesn't work is in small SM caves, and imo if thats what you're after and have the requisite experience you and your team will have enough experience to drawn on to make good decisions, even if that decision is to get training elsewhere. For me, the tools I learned from GUE allow me to go where I want and see what I want to see.

I believe that GUE doesn't have to be all things for all people. There's plenty of other agencies that try and do that.

That said, I do see a trend in GUE to try and be all things for all people with things like rec 3, gas blender, doc diver, tech 50 etc. I certainly don't like that the CCR course can be taught without a BOV because it can't be sourced ($ over safety) nor do I like it being taught while the instructor is on CCR. But that's a gripe for another thread I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom