"lemon" made in china tank valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought a new tank 5 years ago, marked with a generic "VX5000" on the front, and with tiny "made in china" written on the back.

This tank has had chronic blown o-rings, so bad that early on, a nice dive boat crew gave me a small pile of o-rings and lassoed them to the dust cap. Replacing blown o-rings became a regular occurrence, yet manageable with all the spares handily looped to the valve.

Now this week, I find my tank empty of air. A dive shop inspected it and found a leaked burst disc. Argh.

These chinese tank valves seem to have a bad reputation in our area. Several shops have heard about them.

I had the burst disc on my crummy chinese valve replaced. But now I am thinking that I should just replace this valve outright with one of higher quality. I would like to know how to shop for a high quality tank valve. Is there a manufacturer or manufacturers to focus on? Will the manufacturer having identifying markings on the outside of the valve?

The tank is a Catalina Al80. It is just the valve that is made in China.

get a taiwan made convertible valve from dgx. or just look for a used sherwood valve if you want to stick to yoke as those go for peanuts.

I'm a valve repair tech, and work on a lot of valves. Haven't seen problems (so far) with the VX5000s that have come through our Shop. Sorry to hear you're having problems. If you're in the market for a new valve, I recommend Genesis KA-70 for folks that are using the tanks for Nitrox as the valve ships in a sealed bag with a tag that states the valve is oxygen cleaned - and no disclaimers of using the valve with nitrox mixes > 40%.. If you're diving only air, and besides the Genesis valves,Thermo, Sherwood, XS Scuba, and Blue Steel Scuba(Faber/Kaplan) valves all hold up well and parts are readily available and economical. You're looking at $60-$80 for a new valve.

Thank you for the tips! I have replaced the chinese valve with a new Sherwood. I dove it last week. Was SOOOO nice not having to fret over blown o-rings.

The shop I dive with has a bunch of Chinese valves (yoke) that use a -013 O-ring as opposed to a standard -014 O-ring, perhaps that was the issue.

Back
Top Bottom