Non-moldy/mildewy places to stay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flots am

Contributor
Reaction score
Wherever you go in life, that's where you are.
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I like Buddy Dive, but I have a really bad mold allergy, and a moldy room would knock me out of diving for the week.

I've had awesome, spectacular rooms there, and also rooms that smelled like an old basement.

Will Buddy Dive guarantee a particular room, or is it still just "luck of the draw" like it was in the past?

Other than that, can anybody recommend a place that's always clean and non-moldy?

We've had good experiences at Den Laman which is near to Buddy's. I also have allergies and am sensitive to molds and we never had a problem.

I like Buddy Dive, but I have a really bad mold allergy, and a moldy room would knock me out of diving for the week.

I've had awesome, spectacular rooms there, and also rooms that smelled like an old basement.

Will Buddy Dive guarantee a particular room, or is it still just "luck of the draw" like it was in the past?

Other than that, can anybody recommend a place that's always clean and non-moldy?
My wife has a severe allergy to mold. In 28 visits to BD over 17 years, she has not had a problem. Note that all the rooms on the "old" side of the resort have been totally refurbished/remodeled; perhaps your alluded to problem was before that?

My wife has a severe allergy to mold. In 28 visits to BD over 17 years, she has not had a problem. Note that all the rooms on the "old" side of the resort have been totally refurbished/remodeled; perhaps your alluded to problem was before that?

No idea. It was probably ~8 years ago.

I just don't want to use up most of my remaining time off from work, just to find a funky room and be told "that's all there is".

If diving with Buddy's is the plan, both Belmar Oceanfront Apartments south of town and Caribbean Club near Oil Slick Leap north are also Buddy affiliated - which means you get use of the drive-thru. Buddy stages a boat at BelMar - for boat dives from CC you have to drive down.

Also CC is across the road and up the hill from the dive site - their resort header photo is classic applied lens foreshortening.

Belmar really is waterfront - from the ground floor units you walk past the pool and down to the dive or boat dock. The shop is streetside on the south end so tank pickup is pretty convenient to dive elsewhere also. Your condo key gets you into the public shop area 24/7 for tanks, analyzer etc. Belmar was mold free when we stayed there afaik. It's also more expensive and has no food on-site.

Last edited:
I've stayed at Buddy Dive a number of times and have had minimal room mustiness in recent past.
They will not guarantee a specific room but have always honoured our requests for north side, which has been renovated.

We have stayed at Buddy Dive and have had the same experience as the OP.
Our last trip there, my wife laid down the law that we will never ever stay at BD again because mold was so bad.

We have stayed at BD three times over the years - One stay was great the other two were not.

I would agree that the OP should look at Den Laman.

I've stayed at Buddy Dive a number of times and have had minimal room mustiness in recent past.
They will not guarantee a specific room but have always honoured our requests for north side, which has been renovated.
Both sides have now been renovated.

I'm astounded at these reports of Buddy Dive being moldy! I've been taking groups of 8-40 people there for 17 years, and by now those folks have probably stayed in all the rooms, and there has not been even one mention of any such problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom