Force Fins VS the world (advice for first pair of fins?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you need to do to get banned? I thought these forums were pretty lenient on things. TN travelller and myself used to jab each other a bit a while ago and I didnt hear anything from mods.

What do you need to do to get banned? I thought these forums were pretty lenient on things. TN travelller and myself used to jab each other a bit a while ago and I didnt hear anything from mods.

It somewhat depends on the forum and the TOS. I've had a couple of posts pulled for being mean in protected forums. I've never been warned of potential banning. Dan told me he thought the reason for his ban was trivial, it might have been a cumulative thing over a long period of time. We'll never know the SB side of things.

My suggestion is to PM NetDoc and ask for Dan's reinstatement. If enough people do that, I think Pete will do it. The problem was not between Pete and Dan but between Dan and one of the Mods; I think sometimes they take themselves too seriously. :cool:

I tried them out today, compared to my current travel fins the US Divers Trek.

Comfort - is WOW, wow, WOW, Can’t compare the two, the Force fin are beyond a 10. During one lap I had serious cramps with the Treks as I was going as fast as I could, had to slow down significantly to stop the pain, with the Force Fin I kicked as fast as I could and no pain.

Size - as you can see they are about the same length on the center, on the edges Force Fin a little longer, wide TREK take that.

Trust - this one I might have to try them some more, but it seem that slow kicks the TREK have slightly more push, on the other hand as fast as I can kick I felt I could go faster and faster with the Force Fins, I kind of felt I reached the speed limit on the TREK.

During the test I hit my toe on the bottom of the pool while using the Force Fin and then I could not use the TREK for a while on that foot. But I was able to continue using the ForceFin with the same foot until the pain vanished.

Also bummer they don't come with the Shark teeth.
Overall they would definitely find a place on my backpack, the TREK would be given to wife until they break.
The Force Fin had some type of water repellent finish it might go away with time but it does look nice.

Note - the ForceFin are built like tanks omg they feel they would last a few lifetime sentences and I am no judge.
The strap is super heavy duty, actually I think that also a little drawback as it make adjustment a little difficult if you are going to let someone a few size smaller or bigger than you try them out.
But their major drawback as a lot of people know is their price, you could get a lot of TREK fins for the price of one ForceFin but you would never get the comfort that right there is worth it, Plus I like the Idea of supporting a company here in the USA.
They could easily be the best travel/snorkel fins but the cost is a big consideration for a lot of families.

At the end big thumbs up to Force Fin for the Design is amazing.

21od209.jpg

2e1vrzs.jpg

TREK,Rip Force, No Name fins, Kid mask he loved that mask.
14dpm50.jpg

No matter what the fin design is, the basic law of physics still applies: Force = Mass * Acceleration, and FF are just too lightweight. I have been taught well that it is best to minimize your body movement underwater. That's why I'll stick with jet fins. Scuba diving is not swimming, and you'll need to kick more frequent with FF to move around. So, it is up to your style and things you do underwater.

Enjoyed this conversation since it comes up ever so often. For what its worth, as a general observation, fin weight in this statement (if that is the intent) has little to do with direct mass applied / associated with acceleration. Your body provides the downward mass contributing to the forward acceleration of the diver. Not the fin per se. Nothing new is this statement. Stiffness is a major factor along with material composition and design, etc. Ever notice some divers using hands for these weird gyrated movements? their energy applied to arms to create downward / sideways motion to offset their mass in neutral position using cupped hands as stiff elements akin to fins.

FFs work great give their design. Personal metrics with RMV and kicks per hundred yards at 70 feet may be higher by 20% than other traditional fin. But energy, cramps, leg muscle tension, heart rate, and others systemic conditions (dehydration) over 30 dives gives me a fair weighted understanding of how they work for me as compared to traditional fins. I won't speak for others divers. I have OMS slipstream and FFs for various conditions. Fins are a tool and every item in this equipment intensive activity has it's purpose (SM vice back twinsets vice single tank configurations). Each diver must make their own assessment for what works for them. Heck, that is part of the fun in diving. Off this soap box. Peace.

Enjoyed this conversation since it comes up ever so often. For what its worth, as a general observation, fin weight in this statement (if that is the intent) has little to do with direct mass applied / associated with acceleration. Your body provides the downward mass contributing to the forward acceleration of the diver. Not the fin per se. Nothing new is this statement.

Scubaboard gets bad reputation and is victimized every time some over-enthusiastic product defenders try and make their random points in every thread they can get to "share" their passion. It gets to a point where reading SB becomes unnecessarily annoying and annoyingly unnecessary to any average viewers.

A proven product doesn't require this kind of marketing as we've seen constantly here on SB. Try and be specific with balanced reviews. Just saying.

fin weight in this statement (if that is the intent) has little to do with direct mass applied / associated with acceleration. Your body provides the downward mass contributing to the forward acceleration of the diver. Not the fin per se. Nothing new is this statement. Stiffness is a major factor along with material composition and design, etc. Ever notice some divers using hands for these weird gyrated movements? their energy applied to arms to create downward / sideways motion to offset their mass in neutral position using cupped hands as stiff elements akin to fins.

Weight is downward, mass is your body mass irrespective of weight or gravity. To accelerate forward, you need to accelerate this mass plus the mass of displaced water, which gets a little complex. Force is provided by the fins, but because f=ma and consequently a=f/m, you would accelerate very slightly faster with fins that were weightless. I think we're making the same point, though - heavy fins are no benefit to a diver.

Fins are reciprocating in a plane orthogonal to the direction of travel (roughly). Their mass has nothing (directly) to do with the force imparted to the diver.

The mass of the water pushed backward by the fins, times the acceleration of that water should be approximately equivalent to the force imparted to the diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom