Newbie BP/W concern

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djpeteski

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
So during the open water class I experienced being pitched forward when on the surface. Although in a pool it would seem a bit scary if I was on the ocean. I was wearing only the top of a two piece wet suit (it was really hot that day) and if I attempted to float on the surface my face was pushed into the water unless I fought it. I was wearing a jacket style BCD, but the equipment was in such poor condition that might have had contributed to the problem.

While I think I would love a BP/w setup, I have heard that at the surface one is pitched forward. Am I mistaken? It would kind of suck to drown on the surface.

I am in Florida is there any way I can try out a BP/W to alleviate my concerns? I have some scuba buddies but they all have jacket styles.

Is the AERIS Jetpack Travel System considered a BP/W?

If you use a steel plate with a steel tank it will help to balance out the weight so there is more behind you keeping you verticle. Plus, if you're properly weighted so you don't have to have a ton of air in your wing to stay on the surface, it will reduce the tendency for the wing to push you forward. A back plate and wing will not buoy you up like a jacket will, you have to get used to riding a little lower in the water, about chin high instead of chest high.

And I just looked at the Aeris Jetpack BC you mentioned, and no it's not a BP/W, not even close.

Last edited:
You can "otter up" (lean back and let your legs come up so you're kinda floating on your back). It's way more comfortable than trying to stay vertical on the surface like you would with a jacket BC. This has worked for me in pretty much every combination of tank and exposure suit with my steel plate and wing.

in a backplate, you have a crotch strap. This allows you to basically sit on that strap while at the surface. Feels like sitting on a bike seat, not uncomfortable at all. Jacket bc's have to be sized appropriately because they will ride up which contributes to the experience that you had which is quite unfortunate. If you want to try a bp/w in your area, Dayo Scuba is probably the best place to look in your area. TJ et al are technical divers and will while they may not have any single tank bp/w's you can at least try the harness on. Just remember, while it isn't as comfortable at the surface in a t-shirt, the in water feel is what matters most.

Don't over-fill a BP&W at the surface.... problem solved.

Fill it enough to float you comfortably, but don't succumb to the desire to crank it full of gas until the OPV vents.

As others have said, lean back in the rig, sit on the crotch strap, and float on the donut.

Divers, especially instructors, who pander myths about BP&W do so out of ignorance or their own lack of competency. It takes a marginal amount of finesse.. such as could be developed in a few seconds if the diver/s concerned had an inkling about buoyancy :wink:

Last edited:
First off, no scuba BC will guarantee a face-up position in the water (only a life vest does). With that being said, I've had no issues staying face-up regardless of what kind of BC I am using. As others have pointed out, the main aspects are not to overinflate and to try to lean back. Another important factor is where your weight is located (belt, integrated pockets, trim pouches, etc.)

Second, the decision is usually between back-inflate or jacket style BCs. BP/W is a back-inflate but not all back-inflates are BP/W.

Third, to answer your question, the Aeris Jetpack IS a back-inflate. So the location of the buoyancy/lift is similar to that of a BP/W. This is because the bladder is only on the back. In a jacket style the part that wraps around the waist inflates a little as well. However, because it does not have a plate or come apart (among other things), it is NOT a BP/W.

Last, lots of people on this board will recommend BP/W to everyone all the time. BP/W are great and all, but other BCs can meet your needs just as well. It really depends on your diving style and plans.

BP/W is more modular and customizable but there is a greater initial effort to get everything setup properly. However, once you get the basics configured, you can easily swap parts out to suit the target diving conditions as they change (singles/ doubles, cold/warm water, drysuit/ wetsuit, etc).

The other option is your typical recreational "off the rack" BC like jacket styles or the back-inflate Jetpack you linked. These usually come with buckles, pull to cinch shoulder straps, etc. and other conveniences.

If all you need is a simple BC to take with you on your dive trips to the Caribbean, something like the Jetpack might work just fine for you.

Last edited:
Check out Zeagle too. I hear there a few shops down in Florida that carry Zeagle and are highly knowledgeable. I have a couple of friends that have Zeagles and love them. Plus I hear their warranty is top notch. I am looking at the Covert for my trips to warm water destinations. Good luck.

PS: leaning back with less air is true.

So during the open water class I experienced being pitched forward when on the surface. Although in a pool it would seem a bit scary if I was on the ocean. I was wearing only the top of a two piece wet suit (it was really hot that day) and if I attempted to float on the surface my face was pushed into the water unless I fought it. I was wearing a jacket style BCD, but the equipment was in such poor condition that might have had contributed to the problem.

While I think I would love a BP/w setup, I have heard that at the surface one is pitched forward. Am I mistaken? It would kind of suck to drown on the surface.

I am in Florida is there any way I can try out a BP/W to alleviate my concerns? I have some scuba buddies but they all have jacket styles.

Is the AERIS Jetpack Travel System considered a BP/W?

As another fairly new diver (<25 dives) I would say that, as a few others have mentioned no BCD guarantees being face up.

I personally have a BP&W since about dive 8. When on the surface, fill it only enough to float you not full. With the BP&W system (or any with a crotch strap), you simply let your weight sit down on the strap by raising your legs slightly (it is the crotch strap that effectively determines the systems position on your body not the tightness of the shoulders). The main reason I love it is due to the design of the basic harness it does not restrict your torso in any way ( I found the jacket types constricted my chest).

If you do get a chance to try one on make sure someone that knows what they are doing helps you as getting the harness lengths right can be a bit trick with no help. It might feel a little weird on the surface but that goes away when underwater as that is when the design comes into the realm that it was truly created for.

I got my BP/W the day in between my two OW pool sessions. I hated the way the jacket style BCD squeezed my torso. So I had instructor help with managing it. Did 1 OW dive last weekend. Instructor has pretty much the same BP/W as I do (the DRIS package) and confirmed I was doing fine with it.

Less inflation at the surface, lean back, and maybe tread water with your legs some. I love mine.

I'm in the same boat. I'm looking to buy either a back inflate or a BP/W set up. Right now I just have a jacket style that is on it last legs.

Like a previous poster said you can check the BP/W at Dayo. I called there the other day and they have some Halcyons in. Last week I dove the Blue Grotto near Ocala. The dive instructor there was kind enough to let me try his Zeagle Ranger LTD. That felt great! He gave me a Halcyon to pick up and it really seemed heavy.

So, I don't know what to do. I'd like to try out a BP/W... I hate being an indecisive person.

Back
Top Bottom