suggestions please: resort and dive operator in Bonaire in September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For future reference and Thank you again for everyone that replied:
Just came back from a wonderful stay at Den Laman and diving with Bonaire Dive and Adventure shop on site.
Excellent service and good choice for both!!!
Highly recommended.
Can you provide some specific details? What was great? What was not so great? What you wished you had known before you went?

Maybe create a trip report post...

For future reference and Thank you again for everyone that replied:
Just came back from a wonderful stay at Den Laman and diving with Bonaire Dive and Adventure shop on site.
Excellent service and good choice for both!!!
Highly recommended.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Den Laman, BDA, and Bari Reef. We stayed and dived there the last few times on Bonaire and have always had a great time.

I was wondering about the new beach club that has opened next door to DL on the site of the old Sunset House Hotel and the Front Porch dive site. How close is it? Has the new facility had an impact on DL or the nearby Bari Reef? Do you get a lot of noise and traffic from the cruise ship visitors frequenting the beach club? Has it become a noisy night spot on Bonaire?

Last edited:
I was wondering about the new beach club that has opened next door to DL on the site of the old Sunset House Hotel and the Front Porch dive site. How close is it? Has the new facility had an impact on DL or the nearby Bari Reef? Do you get a lot of noise and traffic from the cruise ship visitors frequenting the beach club? Has it become a noisy night spot on Bonaire?

My wife and I stayed at Den Laman last week of August-first week of September.

My personal opinion is that Coco Beach--the facility you're referring to--is the embodiment of cheap, vulgar tourism.

The first day of our stay, we were taken aback by the presence of jet skies. We've been traveling to Bonaire since 2004 and I never thought I'd see them there. The good thing is that was the only time we saw them. Must be because it's low season. I can only imagine what it must be like during busy times when all the cruises arrive.

From my observations, their target is people who only care about working on their tans, getting drunk at the beach, or seeking a spring-break-like atmosphere. Few things can dampen the joy of a breathtaking sunset or the lull of lapping waves as much as vulgar, loud music blasting late into the night, or inebriated party goers screaming in the neighboring beach. We're grateful that it happened only 3 of the nights we were there and couldn't hear anything from our bedroom.

Still, my wife and I had an amazing time and even though Coco Beach and its Cancun-wanna-be cheapness were an unwelcome surprise, they didn't affect our overall experience at Den Laman. Their staff was prompt, courteous, helpful, and always made us feel welcome.

Would I stay at Den Laman again? Probably. The place is in a great location and has a lot to offer. As to their neighbors, traveling during low season probably keeps them mostly quiet. But--personally--I would stay elsewhere if I were to travel during peak season. I only hope that Coco Beach is not the new trend Bonaire is using to attract more tourist revenue.

Finally, a reminder that this is only my opinion and your experience under the same conditions may be different :)

Thanks, I was worried that having a beach club next door might "ruin the neighborhood!"

Glad to hear you enjoyed Den Laman, BDA, and Bari Reef. We stayed and dived there the last few times on Bonaire and have always had a great time.

We are staying at Sand Dollar at the moment and would probably not have noticed that Coco Beach existed if we had not known about it before we got here. (However, there have not been any cruise ships in yet during our stay!)

We have dived Bari Reef six times already since getting here and it is as good as ever. Coco Beach is level with the Southern end of the reef that we do not usually go much beyond anyway.

The first day of our stay, we were taken aback by the presence of jet skies.

Seriously? Next to a reef where people dive and snorkel? Hopefully DFB/SD/Buddy will put in a line of mines from the pier out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom