Scuba Class for PADI in NJ? - Also some general questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Does anyone know a good school for getting PADI certification in NJ?

Also I can swim but not tread water at all...I understand this is an issue but I am going to be diving with friends at the end of this month and would like to fast track this all. Should I take a quick swim class? I am sure I can learn to tread within a day.

Also do I need to buy any gear for these classes? What will I need to scuba with friends? What are the best gopro mounts/filters?

I am going to be scubaing at thousand islands

If you are serious I think you need to get some new friends if they are telling you this will be ok. Getting certified by the end of the month is possible. You will need your own mask, snorkel, fins, boots at a minimum. You'll either have to rent gear or buy your own.
Fast tracking this is not advised. Especially for St Lawrence river diving. Fast tracking SCUBA training is not a good idea anyway.

If you are serious I think you need to get some new friends if they are telling you this will be ok. Getting certified by the end of the month is possible. You will need your own mask, snorkel, fins, boots at a minimum. You'll either have to rent gear or buy your own.
Fast tracking this is not advised. Especially for St Lawrence river diving. Fast tracking SCUBA training is not a good idea anyway.
They are new as well but got certified earlier this month.

I am between the following schools right now
NJ Diving Scuba Class Schedule Underwater Adventures
Scuba Diving Classes | NJ Scuba Diving Shop |

I don't know the first shop but Joe at Divers Two runs a very thorough shop. You will need to buy mask/snorkel/fins at a minimum as these are personal and fit is very important Of course if you are in NYC you could take metro north up to my shop Abyss Scuba in Pleasantville. Whichever way you go have a safe fun adventure. St Lawrence is a great place to dive. Look at ABUCS Scuba in Brockville, CA.

Last edited:
I have a indoor pool, parking lot. If you do a private schedule can do any days or times that fit your needs. Located 30 minutes by car from mid town NYC. Metro north about 45-50 minutes from Grand Central station, with a 5 minute taxi ride.
Next group class scheduled to start on Friday Sept 23. Yonkers NY.
PM if interested. Will still need to complete 200 yd swim and 10 minute tread (if you can float its acceptable)

Hopefully your dive trip will include a DM in the water with you since none of you are experienced. One recommendation I will make is, unless you plan to mount the GoPro on your head, leave it home. A new diver is easily overloaded with the simple things (buoyancy control for instance), adding in another task like photography can quickly get you into trouble.

Contact Diveseekers in Hillsborough, NJ. They run one of the best OW programs I have ever seen. It's where I would send family if anyone wanted to get certified.

Underwater Adventures are an excellent operation. They're 5 mins from the Short Hills station which is less than an hour from Penn Station. I would definitely give them a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom