Prefer MIA or FLL to go to Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll be in Terminal 3, grab your bags there and then a ride on the shuttle bus to Terminal 1, to which the rental car center is attached. Each company has their check-in counters in the same building, then the attendants take you out to the garage to your car.

I usually fly Southwest which uses Terminal 1, but this past June I flew home on Delta and it was my first experience with the buses. They run in a loop fairly frequently so that shouldn't be an issue for you unless it's super busy. Have fun!

You'll be in Terminal 3, grab your bags there and then a ride on the shuttle bus to Terminal 1, to which the rental car center is attached. Each company has their check-in counters in the same building, then the attendants take you out to the garage to your car.

I usually fly Southwest which uses Terminal 1, but this past June I flew home on Delta and it was my first experience with the buses. They run in a loop fairly frequently so that shouldn't be an issue for you unless it's super busy. Have fun!

Thanks! Great information!

Heck I'd fly into Orlando to go to the keys before using Miami again. Fort Lauderdale is less than an hour more but much less stressful.
Only thing worse than Miami so far was San Francisco. It was close though between them as to which sucked more.
My recommendations for folks flying in to south Florida:
1. West Palm (admittedly a bit far if destination is the Keys, but...)
2. Fort Lauderdale
3. Hell
4. Miami

I have gone through both several times. I have permanent elevated status on American and fly American in and out of Miami. I would not go through MIA without the status. If you are returning to MIA from the Keys, and you do not have status, and it is a morning when the cruise ships are unloading allow 3 to 4 hours to get checked in and through security. I have seen folks in the TSA line saying I got here 2.5 hours early and I have just missed my flight.

The new car rental at MIA is much better setup then the old one but it can be quite a hike from the baggage claim to the car rental tram at least from the American baggage claim.

FLL. A little further, but MUCH quicker to get to the Keys after you deplane.

Like MB, I'd rather land in hell than MIA.

But there is more to think about.

Connections: I have nonstops from my hometown airport (RDU) to MIA. I have to use two hops to get to FLL.
Miles: I have lots of miles on American and have free baggage and sometimes free tickets.

I can wake up and fly to MIA and be in Key Largo in time for lunch and an afternoon dive.

FLL, hands down. I fly in a couple times a year for the specific purpose of diving. WPB/Jupiter or Largo are close by. The airport is great, the city itself is great. As far as a rental car, I've used Sunshine Car Rental for years. Off site, and cheaper. Great place, ask for JR.

Last edited:
But there is more to think about.

Connections: I have nonstops from my hometown airport (RDU) to MIA. I have to use two hops to get to FLL.
Miles: I have lots of miles on American and have free baggage and sometimes free tickets.

I can wake up and fly to MIA and be in Key Largo in time for lunch and an afternoon dive.

Speaking of afternoon dives: Do all dive ops have afternoon dives? I'm looking at Rainbow Reef and Conch divers, though still doing research. I'd kind of like dives with opportunities for picture taking (bottom time, conditions).

FLL. A little further, but MUCH quicker to get to the Keys after you deplane.

Like MB, I'd rather land in hell than MIA.

I'm flying into MIA in several days and I'm stressed already.

Speaking of afternoon dives: Do all dive ops have afternoon dives? I'm looking at Rainbow Reef and Conch divers, though still doing research. I'd kind of like dives with opportunities for picture taking (bottom time, conditions).

I like dives where you can do your own thing. I like boats that are big enough to move around on with plenty of shade. I usually dive with Ocean Divers or Horizon. Both run both afternoon and morning trips. For reef trips they pull up to the buoy and say be back in the hour (after a dive briefing about the site)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom