Frogfish in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The largest one we've seen in Cozumel was about six inches long and we were able to locate it three years running although we had to look for it further and further south each year. Mossman's frogfish is really cryptic; unless it moved, I doubt I would have known it was a fish.
Actually it was Jeremy's frogfish, of Living Underwater, and Jeremy's finger too. When he called me over to shoot it, I could have sworn he wanted me to shoot a piece of algae. Not sure if he was the original finder or someone else had clued him in - of course he'd never tell :) First and only one I've experienced in Cozumel of any dimension.

Never seen frogfish in Cozumel. Only in Fiji. Though our DM in Coz says he has seen them and heard of some locations during our trips, we were not able to find them/it. I will have to make a point of asking to go look for them depending on who is on the boat. He seems better at finding seahorses and pipefish/horses.

On a scale of 1-10... Spotting a Seahorse or Pipefish is probably an 8 and 7, respectively. Spotting a Frogfish is a 15! In my opinion they sport perhaps the world's greatest 'naturally selected' camo.

Ever wonder why the highest end of marine fish shops don't sell Frogfish at $1,000/per? Who wants to pay $1,000 for a fish they can't find in their own tank!

Disclosure: I have never and will never keep marine life in a tank. The glass of my tank is about 7" wide and 4" tall.. it's called a MASK.

Last edited:
On a scale of 1-10... Spotting a Seahorse or Pipefish is probably an 8 and 7, respectively. Spotting a Frogfish is a 15! In my opinion they sport perhaps the world's greatest 'naturally selected' camo.

Ever wonder why the highest end of marine fish shops don't sell Frogfish at $1,000/per? Who wants to pay $1,000 for a fish they can't find in their own tank!

Disclosure: I have never and will never keep marine life in a tank. The glass of my tank is about 7" wide and 4" tall.. it's called a MASK.

In 2014 and 2015 pipehorse sightings were commonplace. This year, we didn't see any...and we looked for them. I suspect this was due to the sargassum invasion those two years which did not happen this year. Speaking of rarity, we've only seen one sea robin in all the years we've been diving Cozumel; rarer than frogfish.

want frog fish? go to the Philippines where they are as common as french angels in Coz. no never saw one in coz......

I was wondering if someone would mention the profundity of frog fish in SEA.
I saw 8 on one site alone in Komodo in Jan, granted 4 were females and males together.

want frog fish? go to the Philippines where they are as common as french angels in Coz. no never saw one in coz......

For the record I have only dove in PI at Boracay (really boring) and Puerto Galera but the only neat things I saw there was a disco clam (amazing) and Memo holding up a sea snake by the tail (stupid beyond belief). Otherwise it was pretty boring compared to Cozumel. I am sure there is better in the Philippines but it looks like you need to be lucky or choose better than me.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

Yeah Boracay is a rather poor example of the diving in the PI. I'm suprised that Puerto Galera didn't impress you more.
Did you dive Verde Island when you were there?
I highly recommend you try Komodo or Raja Ampat, I can guarantee you'll be impressed.

True, all. Frogfish are very common in Indonesia and surrounding waters. There are tiny ones and ones the size of basketballs.

In Bonaire, St. Vincent, and other dive locations in the Caribbean, frogfish sightings are common, but for whatever reason, not in Cozumel.

True, all. Frogfish are very common in Indonesia and surrounding waters. There are tiny ones and ones the size of basketballs.

In Bonaire, St. Vincent, and other dive locations in the Caribbean, frogfish sightings are common, but for whatever reason, not in Cozumel.

Well, nowhere on earth can others boast about spotting Splendid Toadfish! So common in Coz and also seen in Belieze with rarity I believe. The Splendid Toadfish is indeed something special to see in Coz no matter how bored and jaded we become to seeing them.

Back
Top Bottom