Bahia vs Colonial vs Plaza

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both have the same buffet at the Mexicana. Of the two I found the standard rooms in the Colonial a little smaller but quieter (2 ND floor center, higher floors I have heard are louder). The noise spill over from the thirsty cougar can be loud on the balcony rooms of the Bahia,IMO.

Bahia, larger rooms with Reefers, etc. Closer to free breakfast.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Plaza? Hotel Plaza? The listing on Hotels.com says free breakfast, but I can only guess that's on site. Free bottled water is a nice feature I miss at Colonial. Bathrobes are a nice touch; you have to hope that they laundry them between customers.

I liked that Colonial had added electronic room safes for my last visit.

Suites Bahia was economical, and the room was large and had a fridge, but the room they gave us was in the back, with essentially no natural light. It also felt kind of dated, but I suppose the lack of natural light contributed to the dreariness. Also, we didn't care for having to walk to and from Casa Mexicana for breakfast. The walk itself was easy enough, but since the breakfast buffet opened something like one hour before dive boat departure, the walk there and back to the room shaved off that much more from the time we had to get ready.

Also, we didn't care for having to walk to and from Casa Mexicana for breakfast. The walk itself was easy enough, but since the breakfast buffet opened something like one hour before dive boat departure, the walk there and back to the room shaved off that much more from the time we had to get ready.
Why not leave the room ready? Did you have to go back for transportation or boarding? I usually drop my bag at 3Ps on the way to CM for breakfast, but when 3Ps wasn't unlocked yet - I'd take my bag to CM breakfast, then proceed to 3Ps for transportation to the marina.

Why not leave the room ready? Did you have to go back for transportation or boarding? I usually drop my bag at 3Ps on the way to CM for breakfast, but when 3Ps wasn't unlocked yet - I'd take my bag to CM breakfast, then proceed to 3Ps for transportation to the marina.

Let's group it all under personal hygiene. In addition to brushing teeth and taking care of nature's calling, my wife won't go to breakfast in her bathing suit, so she needs to return to the room to change.

I haven't stayed at Colonial but have the other two. Bahia wins on breakfast and location. Plaza has a decent breakfast, just not a lot of variety. I liked the pool on the roof of the Plaza. It is nothing fancy but a place to hang out besides the room. You can ask to have a fridge. What I didn't like about Bahia is the inside rooms have a view of a wall 2ft away from the window and the stain looking glass from your room looking in the hallway, you can see figures walking by.

Both are pretty close in price. If you want to spring another $30 a night it is hard to beat Casa Mexicana.

What I didn't like about Bahia is the inside rooms have a view of a wall 2ft away from the window and the stain looking glass from your room looking in the hallway, you can see figures walking by.

This. My wife and I couldn't care less about having an "ocean view" on a dive trip, but for future visits we're going to draw the line at a view of a wall 2 ft away. We need to have at least a little sunlight.

Back
Top Bottom