Why 45 vs 90 LPI Inflator angle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tcphil

AI
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This just does not make sense to me. Why are most LPI infiltrators 45 degrees? Makes it harder to orally inflate BCD compared to 90. If the answer is less likely to catch on things, seems like a very small gain compared to everything else that can hang off/catch, and poor human factors.

Sorry if this is already covered a bunch of times. I asked my LPI and a well known national dealer. Neither knew.

This just does not make sense to me. Why are most LPI infiltrators 45 degrees? Makes it harder to orally inflate BCD compared to 90. If the answer is less likely to catch on things, seems like a very small gain compared to everything else that can hang off/catch, and poor human factors.

Sorry if this is already covered a bunch of times. I asked my LPI and a well known national dealer. Neither knew.
I don't find the 45s hard to use, and they are more compact. Besides, the 45s are only $15 from DGX and that makes them very desirable.

There might be a mechanical design reason why one might be better.

There might be a mechanical design reason why one might be better.

I doubt it, internally they are identical. The valves can be swapped between the bodies.

In use they are interchangeable IMO. The type K's put the "add" button on the same side as the mouth piece, vs opposite side for the conventional (and older design) In practice I simply grab the entire device (either style) with either hand, palm towards my chest, and squeeze. Where ever the add button is this method will depress it.

Tobin

I wonder if it evolved due to a Patent issue some time ago?

I wonder if it evolved due to a Patent issue some time ago?

Possible, but given my experiences with IP I very much doubt that is the case. I suspect it was nothing more than a "style" change intended to differentiate one product rom another, sort of a case of "bold new graphics" :)

Tobin

I like the 45's better then the 90's. Maybe I am just weird.

I prefer the straight, like the old Dacor. The inflation button was on the side, the exhaust/oral inflation was combined and activated by pushing the end down. These were originally developed before "power" inflation so that the diver could put the mouthpiece to his/her mouth and then press with the mouth and blow into the BC to buoyancy control.

Divers are too dependent upon the BC today, spoiled, we are like YoYo's on a string, up and down, in and out, and power inflators facilitate the bad habits. If the diver has the weighting dialed in it should only be needed to add air once at depth initially and thereafter the diver is generally only dumping air as the cylinder becomes more buoyant. Then once upon returning to the surface a few quick puffs to establish positive buoyancy. How does one get along with a BC without power inflation, quite nicely actually. Why, it eliminates weight, complexity, a hose, an inflator, multiple failure points, some of which could and do spoil dives. Minimalism.

N

as they say, "If someone hadn't re-invented the wheel, we would all be driving around on stone wheels"....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom