"Family of drowned Tennessee diver sues dive shop"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or the risk management section in every PADI Member Forum.
Interesting. I have been a member in good standing for 20 years. Got my pin and glass participation trophy just this year. I have neither a logon to the website, nor have I ever attended a member forum. I am operating on the information I got in 1996. I am a member in good standing, however, and have never been filed on nor been involved in a reportable incident. I could teach tomorrow if I chose. Your argument has no merit. Next?

Do you mean in addition to the written materials and the video on the Pro website? In what ways do you find them deficient?
Don't know, never been to the website. I am a member in good standing though.

Didn't realize I was involved in an argument. Next?

Didn't realize I was involved in an argument. Next?
Then you probably shouldn't have gotten involved in someone else's.

You put me in my place all right...goodness. I will know better than to play with the big boys from now on.

Interesting. I have been a member in good standing for 20 years. Got my pin and glass participation trophy just this year. I have neither a logon to the website, nor have I ever attended a member forum. I am operating on the information I got in 1996. I am a member in good standing, however, and have never been filed on nor been involved in a reportable incident. I could teach tomorrow if I chose. Your argument has no merit. Next?

Here is what you wrote:
Again, my problem with it is that while they have established standards, they haven't given guidance for "when is the appropriate time to be more conservative than standards" without breaking standards.

The fact that you have not made any effort in 20 years to learn anything does not mean that the information was not there for the asking. Would you argue that a restaurant you have never visited does not serve meals?

As an instructor who works in low visibility regularly, I went to PADI for guidance and got it. It cost me a few minutes of my time. I would think that any instructor who has to work with students in low visibility would do the same. I would think that any operation that has its instructors working in poor visibility would make sure they all know what they are doing.

Here is what you wrote:

The fact that you have not made any effort in 20 years to learn anything does not mean that the information was not there for the asking. Would you argue that a restaurant you have never visited does not serve meals?

As an instructor who works in low visibility regularly, I went to PADI for guidance and got it. It cost me a few minutes of my time. I would think that any instructor who has to work with students in low visibility would do the same. I would think that any operation that has its instructors working in poor visibility would make sure they all know what they are doing.
ahhh...blame the instructor again. If the updates, forums and continuing education of instructors was important, beyond making it available should the agency not also make a certain degree of CE/updates mandatory? Why would they allow a instructor with no updating of their professional qualifications to teach?

In an earlier post, I said that in the Utah Boy Scout case, the insurance company representing the instructor, Willis, was "owned" by SDI. I was challenged on that. I have been trying to find the actual relationship. The best I can do right now is say that they had a mutually beneficial business relationship of some sort. SDI did not own it, but they were no disinterested in its welfare, either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom