Could The World's Worst Airport Be In Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Feckin crybabies, Less than an hour for immigration and less than half hour to leave , Just how efficient do people expect a third world airport to be?

They do process the same load of people every week, and have done so for the past 20 years (ok perhaps a few more than 10 years ago) My first trip was in 1996 and it was a cluster **** back then, and sounds like it still is one.

SOSA Air, Dirt Landing Strip and Russian military - it's bad now, but it has been much much worse.

World's worst airport? That's a bit of an exaggeration, I think. I just got back yesterday from my third trip down there and that airport, while sparse and bare, is not horrible. I get through there far faster and easier than I do in my home airport of LAX, that's for sure.

To be fair, I usually take the rather low-capacity San Salvador-Roatan Avianca flight on either Saturday or Sunday. So, it's typically less than 20 people disembarking with me. But even on departure, sharing the room with the big crowds for United & Delta flights, it's not so bad. Heck... to me, it has a certain charm to it.

And it's an island airport in the third world? Is anybody really expecting sleek, shiny luxury?

P.S. - @tarponchik, those three dogs are still hangin' out there. Saw them just this weekend!

The worst airport I've ever been through was Douala International Airport in Cameroon. I went through Roatan once and it was fairly unmemorable. To me it didn't come close to comparing to West African dumpiness and inefficiency.

Come to think of it on my trip to Roatan I was probably more disgusted by Washington Dulles than I was by RTB.

A great subject...I thought a good selling T-shirt would read, "I Survived the Roatan Airport Departure Lounge"....
But then there's PROVO. Hey, Texans, ain't "Gilly's" a hoot ?

we arrived and departed via RTB last week. quite pleasant.

on arrival we happened to be first in line, so no wait for immigration.

departure was to Utila. It took about 5 minutes from the time the pilot grabbed us outside departures until we were walking across the tarmac. The plane was full with 6 passengers.

The "first world arrogance" being displayed here is really mind boggling.

Your profile says that you live in Virginia. That is the first world, is it not? By living there, paying taxes there, and being engaged in the local economy there, your are supporting what you condemn.

Just sayin'

Last edited:
Your profile says that you live in Virginia. That is the first world, is it not? By living there, paying taxes there, and being engaged in the local economy there, your are supporting what you condemn.

Just sayin'

By living in Virginia, paying taxes here and contributing to the economy I have also earned the right to speak my mind on vital political and social issues that threaten the state of Virginia such as ... scuba diving happening in Roatan!

Back
Top Bottom