Which submersible dive tables?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rx7diver

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
All,

My submersible dive tables ("NU-WAY Dive Tables"; single, 6" x 8", two sided, flexible polymer which I fold in half before inserting into my pocket; white with orange stripes and rows, and blue font on the frontside; "1984 U.S. Navy Standard Air Decompression Table" printed in blue font on the backside) which I purchased new c. 1987, are showing their wear and will need to be replaced soon.

Which/whose submersible drive tables are you using? Pros and cons? Ultimately, do you recommend the ones you are familiar with?

FWIW, the tiny font on my NU-WAY tables is--has always been--a bit too small for my preference. And the contrast (dk. blue font on white or orange background) has always been lacking. Surface interval time ranges are printed in a *very* tiny font!

Thanks in advance for your input.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

can always get a cheap laminator and print out custom ones. That way you can choose which algorithm, which safety factors, print ones for whatever nitrox mix you're diving etc. Other than that I just follow the "rule of 130" as a backup if my computer fails

tbone1004,

I, like many (most) of us longer-ago trained divers, have the no-decompression limits associated with the US Navy Tables, memorized. I need submersible dive tables for setting up repetitive dives, though.

No, thank you, regarding custom tables. I prefer "standard", "established" tables (e.g., US Navy, NAUI, DCIEM, etc.).

My question is really about who manufactures and sells submersible dive tables that you like, and why? Nice sized font? Good contrast? Appropriately sized? Etc.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Check with your local dive shop. They should be able to find some that meet your needs. Or check online at the various scuba outlets (Leisure Pro, Scuba.com, Amazon).

tbone1004,

I, like many (most) of us longer-ago trained divers, have the no-decompression limits associated with the US Navy Tables, memorized. I need submersible dive tables for setting up repetitive dives, though.

No, thank you, regarding custom tables. I prefer "standard", "established" tables (e.g., US Navy, NAUI, DCIEM, etc.).

My question is really about who manufactures and sells submersible dive tables that you like, and why? Nice sized font? Good contrast? Appropriately sized? Etc.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Though not longer-ago trained, I do have the NDL's memorized, hence the mention of the 130 rule. I don't think that the tables are nearly as safe to dive because the navy never intended on repetitive dives to be the norm when they made their tables, and NAUI just lopped one segment off of the USN tables for extra conservatism. We'll also have to agree to disagree on the "standard & established* as being a good thing for repetitive diving, but that's neither here nor there

I still stand by just printing your own and laminating though. That way you control the size, contrast, etc and they're super cheap to make and if they have to get replaced then it doesn't cost you anything

All,

My submersible dive tables ("NU-WAY Dive Tables"; single, 6" x 8", two sided, flexible polymer which I fold in half before inserting into my pocket; white with orange stripes and rows, and blue font on the frontside; "1984 U.S. Navy Standard Air Decompression Table" printed in blue font on the backside) which I purchased new c. 1987, are showing their wear and will need to be replaced soon.

Which/whose submersible drive tables are you using? Pros and cons? Ultimately, do you recommend the ones you are familiar with?

FWIW, the tiny font on my NU-WAY tables is--has always been--a bit too small for my preference. And the contrast (dk. blue font on white or orange background) has always been lacking. Surface interval time ranges are printed in a *very* tiny font!

Thanks in advance for your input.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

You should not need to use submersible dive tables. The world has changed.

You should plan you dives (where relevant) using a PC. There are several software packages to assist you. Personally I use Vplanner.

During the dive you should track your dive using a computer. There are still some fringe movements in diving that would disagree with me about this but the vast majority of divers these days are using computers.

Like you, I learned to dive on tables and made my first 650 dives using tables. I had them memorized. I was also a slow adapter and was suspicious of computers at fist.. However, my opinion is that this is no longer relevant in scuba diving. Tables are not being taught anymore (or as an historical anachronism) and computers are FAR FAR superior to using tables for the in-water part of the dive.

For planning, there is still a minor role for PC software and tables but that's it. If you don't already have one, then buy a computer.

Seriously.

R..

I found some plastic tables on Ebay last year I think they may have been the same kind you have, haven't looked lately you might give that a try. I use my tables on the surface than write the details on my slate. I track my dive with a PDC however the tables are my primary "go to". I figure the tables got me thru 40 years of active diving without a hit so why switch? The PDC that I started using 5-6 years ago is more or less a backup or something to show a dive op if they require I have one.

I went thru the trouble of learning the nitrox tables then discovered nitrox was useless for me, used it 2x's 3 years ago haven't used it since.

tbone1004,

Safe Diving,

rx7diver
IANTD tables at DGX. Have not use my enough to have opinion. They seem very strong, I have no cons really.

IANTD Open Circuit Flexible Dive Tables | Dive Gear Express®

I went thru the trouble of learning the nitrox tables then discovered nitrox was useless for me, used it 2x's 3 years ago haven't used it since.

What does that mean?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom