PADI logged dive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same here. I forgot to mention my old story of being in Panama (just me & the DM on boat dive) when the DM did the same thing--put on the empty tank the Capt. switched out by mistake and the DM failed to test it with a few breaths. He grabbed my octo & we ascended. So that was one time I witnessed something.

More than 10 years ago, I was not far away from an incident that was the result of a diver putting her gear on a used tank without checking, which meant she ran out of air at almost the beginning of the dive. I did not see it, but she calmly took her buddy's alternate, and they made a controlled, safe ascent. That is the only "incident" I have ever witnessed. I have twice seen divers with poor buoyancy control get a quick lesson from a DM.

That's it.

I am always surprised when people report all the horrors they witness. I have seen some divers who skills need some work, and I have seen divers damaging reefs through poor skills, but I have never seen the dangerous behaviors some others seem to see on nearly every dive.

You seem to lead a very sheltered life John. I see Storkery all around on my various diving destinations, I tend to just smh in private than be the savior of all things right in scuba. :)

I see someone believes they're channeling GI3. Problem is, the copy is never as entertaining as the original, just more obnoxious.

John, has anyone ever cracked up when you call this teabagging? I mean I'm not known for a dirty mind, sometimes I say things that I don't even know could be miscontrued. Just try googling and you'll see why maybe we should pick a different term. How about drive-thru diving, or dunk tank diving, or turnstyle diving? Turnstyle gating?
Yeah I have heard of teabagging but not regarding diving and its not a pretty image lol :)

Just saw this thread and while it has been around the block a few times, I have something fresh, I have some of my log stamped some signed but mostly just the information I feel is pertainent to me as well as the depth time gas consumption. So if I only have 30 of my dives signed will I not be able to take a course that requires say 50? My wife is my number one buddy (well two of my kids now join her) so she could go back and sign most of them But even a few classes I have done the instructor never even asked to sign my book nor did I think to ask. I just have the cert card.

In the PADI world, instructional dives must be logged and signed by the Instructor.

Other than the above condition, logs don't have to be signed to count for the few PADI courses that require documentation of dives completed.

You seem to lead a very sheltered life John. I see Storkery all around on my various diving destinations, I tend to just smh in private than be the savior of all things right in scuba. :)
I said I had not seen an "incident" other than what I described. I stand by that. For you and others like you, apparently seeing someone's elbow at an improper angle while diving qualifies as an incident close to the horrors of Hell. I am not of that ilk.

I said I had not seen an "incident" other than what I described. I stand by that. For you and others like you, apparently seeing someone's elbow at an improper angle while diving qualifies as an incident close to the horrors of Hell. I am not of that ilk.

So far this past season and a half, I've seen two spear fisherman run out of air, ascend without a SMB, and couldn't make it back to the boat. We spent an hour searching in a grid to find them. One ditched his tank, regs, and spear gun to be more buoyant.

I've seen an RB diver scrap a dive at 100' (on his way down to 220') because his uncalibrated, expired cells were "acting funny". The diver had no idea how to check if the cells were voltage limited let alone read the little manufacturers date.

I was on a charter boat with someone who thought diving Nitrox @ 1.6 was OK because he would get some kind of warning and feel he was about to otox. The entire boat called him out on it, and the following week, he did the same.

I've seen a newer internet trained cave diver with a zero to hero full cave diver go into the lower tunnel of Roubidoux (150' +).

I've seen a diver with a 62 cf bottle run out of air after doing a 110' dive and breached the surface like one of those great whites after a seal.

Trust me, I've seen divers flailing around too, but everyone has a learning curve. As for the divers above, I'm not out there to be the scuba police, I just smh in private and thank my lucky little stars I took my own training "a little" more seriously.

I think there is a misunderstanding with incident. Every single problem is an incident. It doesn’t have to be lethal, it doesn’t have to be serious. If you solve it very easily than you might not even remember it. But unsolved small problems leads the way to big incidents. Like in my last dive my rental gears high pressure hoses connection with gauge started to lose air. Normally we have to cut the dive and start to ascend. But our group is 1 2 star trainer, 1 1 star trainer, 3 3 star diver and 1 1 star diver (she is as good as 2 star but not got the certificate yet). I have showed the situation to the owner of the gear (shop owner) he turned it a little bit and the problem solved. As the group is good and as we are just diving max 12 meters we continued. The gear was not in good condition, salt and sand get inside the connection that this kind of problems happened. Now I know what to do in this kind of problems, at least what to try first.

If you are diving with good gears and a good group it is more likely that you will not see any problem. But if you dive in a touristic place with lots of newbie using bad equipment than you will see lots of incidents. If you don’t see it, than you might have a situational awareness problem. My last pulling down of a diver was because of her lack of dumping air from her bc. I was able to catch her because from the beginning of the dive I understand that she has buoyancy problems. When we start to rise I got close to her and waited till she starts to ascent uncontrolled. This was not because I am a psychic, this was because I used to dive with lots of newbies and I look how they dive. Most probably when she surfaced from 15 meters nothing bad would happen. But this is an incident as it might cause a problem also.

Last edited:
With my rescue diver cert, it changed how I dive. Specifically, I really watch others. ..on shore, on the boat, prepping their gear, how they enter, how they dive. I'm not trying to be a SCUBA cop, I just offer a little friendly advice where applicable. I've certainly been given similar friendly advice. Dive accidents occur as combinations of small issues stack. So a little advice can prevent that from happening.

I dive with my son alot (he's 14) and we are constantly discussing best practices, drills and potential problems. Then practicing. Last week I wrapped him in my smb rope and tied a fin, arm, mask, first stage reg and required him to get free. He methodically and slowly did so. Calmly.Then he did it to me. Then we discuss. It builds him into a stronger, more confident and comfortable diver.

PS. Yesterday I dove a high mountain lake (6600 FT). Turned out it was only 10 ft deep, but very new experience for me. Cooooold water, full wet suit, gloves, hoodie, etc etc. I learned a lot from the dive. I logged it. Totally new experience for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom