Keys dive operator recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hairtriggr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks, my wife and I will be in the keys(probably staying somewhere between Key Largo and Marathon) for a day or two over Labor Day weekend and are wanting to dive probably one morning maybe two. We are looking for a good dive operator that likes to take care of their customers, not necessarily hand holding but just good service and attentiveness from the DM. We have dove quite a bit (50 or so dives) but only in Cozumel, and my wife is having anxiety about being in a completely different situation than what she is used to. Any full service dive operator references that anyone might have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

For full service, Rainbow Reef is the choice. I would have sent you to Conch Republic based on where you are, but they expect their divers to be a little more independent.

Rainbow Reef is very service oriented. They provide free dive guides which most operators don't supply. I like them but never use the guide service myself. I tend to dive with Conch Republic or Horizon, and they are great, but I feel like they are more geared to independent minded divers

If you really want good service, hire a private guide from CRD, Horizon, Rainbow, Quiessece or any of the other good dive operations and that will almost guaranty a good time, especially if your wife is nervous

thanks for the good tips guys, we'll probably try out Rainbow Reef, sounds like they will be a good fit for the wife. Baby steps to build her confidence I guess. It does make sense if we're spending the money on boat rides and tanks, to have somebody familiar with the local sites show us around and make sure we get back to the boat before dark:wink:

If your wife is having some anxiety, consider hiring a private guide for the first trip so she builds her confidence. Then go with the complimentary group guide on the other trips.
Rainbow Reef offers both options. They will charge you $75 for the private guide who will focus on her comfort.
Feel free to PM me for more specific information.

About three years ago I decided I wanted to celebrate my 50th Birthday diving and the Denver Aquarium was the my local dive site. And that just did not feel like "diving".

So I cashed in some Air-miles and took my newly certified significant other to the Keys with me. Other than four dives at Chatfield Reservoir and 1 dive at Aurora Reservoir, both in Colorado, she had very limited open water experience. After looking around on SB myself I chose Home Seamonkeys Scuba Diving And Watersports Rentals Islamorada Florida Keys .

They are a small husband/wife team and I could not have asked for a better "first time" in the ocean for my dive buddy. They put a Divemaster in the water with us (not that I needed one, but I preferred one as a guide for local diving). Their boat was plenty large enough for the six passengers it was rated for; although we never had more than 3 divers at a time on it (might be different this weekend). They also helped get us a discount at the local inn next door.

Overall it was one of my best birthdays I have had. I know it has been three years but you might give them a call.

Rainbow Reef is quickly becoming the only boat to book KL, and when I say boat...they have lots!

They have shown several times that they have great employees who love what they do, and help you have a great time, at any skill or experience level.

About three years ago I decided I wanted to celebrate my 50th Birthday diving and the Denver Aquarium was the my local dive site. And that just did not feel like "diving".

So I cashed in some Air-miles and took my newly certified significant other to the Keys with me. Other than four dives at Chatfield Reservoir and 1 dive at Aurora Reservoir, both in Colorado, she had very limited open water experience. After looking around on SB myself I chose Home Seamonkeys Scuba Diving And Watersports Rentals Islamorada Florida Keys .

They are a small husband/wife team and I could not have asked for a better "first time" in the ocean for my dive buddy. They put a Divemaster in the water with us (not that I needed one, but I preferred one as a guide for local diving). Their boat was plenty large enough for the six passengers it was rated for; although we never had more than 3 divers at a time on it (might be different this weekend). They also helped get us a discount at the local inn next door.

Overall it was one of my best birthdays I have had. I know it has been three years but you might give them a call.

Thanks for the tip Oldbear. I can only imagine the Chatfield and Aurora dives might have left her with a pretty bleak outlook of diving. I've only snorkeled in fresh water, at Flaming Gorge which has pretty clear water by fresh water standards, and there just wasn't much to see in the green water. Trout, bass and carp just can't compare to anglefish, triggers and rays. Plus 70 at the surface and at least 10 deg colder at your feet doesn't make me want to go much deeper. I'll buy plane tickets. I would kinda like to dive Lake Powell sometime though.

Mike

Please allow me to give my two cents. Rainbow reef is a good operation. Its big they have lots of boats and they will be crowded. Lots happening when its time to get in the water. DJ runs a fine operation.

However, for your situation i have to recommend the best shop in the keys. Conch Republic Divers. Its a small shop with two boats right at the dock in Tavernier. Why the recommendation? Its like diving with family. Hire Jasen as the guide. A smart, knowegeable instructor who has a fantastic customer service attitude. He will take you diving but not dive for you. He will make you feel confident in a safe way. Brenda and Gary are great. Brenda is the nicest most competent lady around. Booking with Conch could not be easier. Rental gear is nice and boats are not overcrowded. You will go to nice reefs without seing 100 divers. I just cant say enough.

Happy diving and have a safe trip.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom