Storing Regulators -- Any Reason Not To Leave Hooked Up To Tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a sherwood - if you forgot to turn off the tank, the dry bleed system would eventually drain the tank.

I never carry tanks very far, but I can not believe that leaving the reg on the tank will make it easier to tote stuff around. In my world it makes it harder to get the BCD off the tank.

Maybe it makes sense to create a list of PRO's and CON's. I can only think of CONs. My PRO list is empty.

The o-rings will flatten or deform or time. You should analyze your tanks prior to every outing so why have to remove the reg to analyze? Will the reg or hoses interfere with reading the tank labels? I have taken the wrong tank on a dive because I misread the label by looking around the hoses, so I now remove every single time

I've always stored my regulators in the closet with the dust caps on, but to save time gearing up I've been thinking of just leaving them screwed into the tank valves, unpressurized.

Any possible issues with this?

Threaded joints like to seize.

This is a good point if they are used in salt water, then left in place. The threads on the DIN valve are not protected, so salt water would dry on the threads. This is what happens to the yoke plugs on convertible valves used by dive charters and rental fleets in tropical climates. It's not pretty.

I read that you should not lubricate the threads nor the O ring of the DIN interface, but I've been putting a very small amount of silicone grease on the threads and the O ring and find it goes on much smoother and the O ring seals better, and with even a small amount of grease it will not seize.

They'll be attached to my doubles, which sit inside by the front door for easy moving. I keep backplate/wing attached to save on time gearing up, so figured might as well keep the regs attached too.
I've kept my regs on my doubles for well over a decade, closer to two of them, I find it works out well

I seldom remove my regs from my doubles either, because I am not "swapping tanks". When I dive singles the regs come off as you need to to change tanks.

I put tribolube on the din threads and have never has a seizing issue, i also rinse the gear well...

I read that you should not lubricate the threads nor the O ring of the DIN interface, but I've been putting a very small amount of silicone grease on the threads and the O ring and find it goes on much smoother and the O ring seals better, and with even a small amount of grease it will not seize.
if you are getting into tech and using oxygen for deco or high O2 ditch the silicone and just go all oxygen compatible lube, less chance of cross contamination and better performance

Back
Top Bottom