Almost Certified then What's next

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My stabdard reply to this kind of post:

The absolute best diver I ever met gave me this advice: "Your card is a learners permit. You need to practice all those skills you were introduced to till you have them down to a conditioned reflex. Do only one at a time till you perfect it before you move on the next. First buoyancy, then trim, then ...And always, ALWAYS minimize your new task load."

So in summary:

- How does one keep orientation during descent?
I am assuming here that visibility was really poor since you couldn't keep oriented for depth. Other than my cert dives which were in a quarry, all of my diving had been in clear water until I did my AOW cert in Boston. That first time in the water up here where visibility was limited so that you couldn't see the surface or bottom was kind of a freaky experience. Eventually, you'll adjust and lose that feeling of disorientation, but I rely on my computer in those conditions to confirm where I am with respect to depth. I've never done a dive as far north as Palm Bay in Florida however, the vis should be could enough that you'll know where you are depth-wise.

- Any way to keep from popping up 20 feet?
As mentioned above, buoyancy is all about fine-tuning and small adjustments. Since I dive in currents (drift diving), I usually hit the water with minimal or no air in my BC and then start using very small bumps with the inflator to slow/halt my descent as I approach the reef. Buoyancy changes don't happen immediately so, you have to give yourself enough time for your adjustments to take effect. I rarely dump any air from my BC at depth once my buoyancy has been established, and only infrequently will add any, and again only with very minor bumps.

- How does one use less air?
Lack of buoyancy control is probably your biggest enemy to air consumption. A lot of new divers try to stabilize buoyancy by using their arms which has a huge effect on air consumption. If you can keep your arms still, you will see immediate improvement. As a reminder to not use your arms to swim, you can clasp your hands together near your waist as you hover above the reef.

- What are some good dive trips, from the central Florida area, where we might get some instruction or have some really good dive guides?
Nearly all of my diving is in the Jupiter/West Palm area and there is plenty of good instructors there. My son did his cert dives and I did my rescue cert with Jupiter Dive Center and I thought they were excellent. I know another instructor who works out of the Pura Vida dive shop in Riviera Beach, and while I have never had any instruction from him, I see pictures from his classes that shows he provides his students with an excellent dive experience, and his reputation in the area is top notch. You can let me know if you'd like a name. FYI, diving Jupiter you can see plenty of sharks if you are interested in them, and further south around The Breakers in Palm Beach, you can find some really pretty and shallow reefs.

Practice, just get out and dive when you can, don't get caught up in jumping to the next certification. The more you dive the more many of your concerns will resolve them self. The more you dive the better your buoyancy will become, you will find you can probably reduce your weight as your buoyancy gets better, you will reduce your consumption as you are more relaxed and are not fumbling with gear and controlling buoyancy etc. You will also become more comfortable in the water and be better at managing your accents and descents. It will all come with time and experience. If you can get out with others, like the offer from Paul at Stuart Scuba, to dive with experienced divers, they will help you out, give you tips and tricks from experience that will go a long way.

Practice, just get out and dive when you can, don't get caught up in jumping to the next certification. The more you dive the more many of your concerns will resolve them self. The more you dive the better your buoyancy will become, you will find you can probably reduce your weight as your buoyancy gets better, you will reduce your consumption as you are more relaxed and are not fumbling with gear and controlling buoyancy etc. You will also become more comfortable in the water and be better at managing your accents and descents. It will all come with time and experience. If you can get out with others, like the offer from Paul at Stuart Scuba, to dive with experienced divers, they will help you out, give you tips and tricks from experience that will go a long way.

My response to all new divers, dont waste money immediately on more courses to get certified for skills, dive dive dive, and then do more certs. You cant buy ability, you learn it from practice and experience. You get this from diving diving diving, and enjoy the fun as you go.

My response to all new divers, dont waste money immediately on more courses to get certified for skills, dive dive dive, and then do more certs. You cant buy ability, you learn it from practice and experience. You get this from diving diving diving, and enjoy the fun as you go.

A very good point. About the only course I would suggest would be PPB - any chance to work on trim/buoyancy/weighting etc under a good instructor will be worthwhile

Not done any further courses (apart from AOW which I don't really class as a course) but I would imagine that most of the courses such as wreck, deep etc will benefit from a diver who is in good control of their diving (good trim, buoyancy etc)

@djpeteski

I have complete empathy with you. You're not the first to go through this, you won't be the last. I had similar issues when I first learnt to dive.

1. Fast descent. If you vent the air from your BCD at the surface, and go start falling like a stone, you're over weighted. On descent, with an empty BCD and an exhale should get you down the first 3'. After that pressure will take over. Now here I accept that as a new diver you'll probably take a huge gulp of air and may stop or come back up so a bit more weight will be necessary. For the first part of the descent at least, cross your fins to stop them moving. With a little more experience try to move to the horizontal position after 6' or so.

As others have said, add air to the BCD little and often. It's considered bad form to descend like a burning Messerschmitt then hitting the sand in a great cloud of dust. Little and often :)

2. Corking. When you get anxious or panicked your body activities it's inbuilt Fight or Flight reflex. What this does, is lowers your diaphragm increasing your lung volume and thus making you more buoyant. Because as a new diver, thus diving in shallow water, just rising a few feet in the water means you get a significant pressure change. You will be slow to pick this up, and suddenly you start to rise fast. Often you cant' seem to dump air fast enough.

So being slow and relaxed is the key, but this takes time, hence newer divers start dropping lead from their belts quite quickly with practice and their bodies becomes accustomed to begin underwater and you become more relaxed.

3. Air consumption, the fastest way to bad air consumption, is worrying about your air consumption. Just don't. what will be will be for the moment. Again with practice, you'll stop moving as much underwater, you'll become more relaxed. You won't mess about with your BCD as much.

the important thing is to breath normally, don't shallow breath, don't hold your breath underwater (pausing between breaths is okay but basics first) as these make consumption worse.

Don't worry about your wife - as I say eh reason my wife has low air consumption is that she can't talk underwater :wink:

But seriously, everyone is different. My wife by her own admission is 50, unfit and slightly over weight. on our last trip without fail she would surface with 500-600 psi more in her tank than the 20 something tiny Indonesian dive guide. She just breaths slowly and is very relaxed underwater.

At this point just concentrate on making small improvements to your own consumption and your own diving, you're not in competition with anyone.

Things will improve and get easier as you dive more. If you go on a week long trip where you dive daily you'll soon notice the difference from your start and end point. Keep assessing your weight, at the end of a dive let the air out of your BCD on the safety stop, if you start to sink take 2 lbs off for the next dive. (Or at the surface let all the all the air our for a weight check and see if you sink or if you hold at eye level. Keep a record. and keep checking. Don't keep the same weight for many dives because at the start you'll have large improvements.

Yes by all means do the PPB course, but time in the water counts as more than back to back courses. Consolidate what you have learnt before moving on.

You have great diving close to you in Boynton Beach, Jupiter, Riveria Beach, up and down the coast of Florida. I recommend you spend your money on diving so you improve your air consumption and skill level and get comfortable in the water. The more you do it, the better you will be. Taking further courses at this point to me is a waste of money. If you took AOW now, you still will not be an Advanced diver in the real sense.

If you look on the Florida section here, you can get lots of great info on what kind of diving there is near you and the best operations.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom