Hopefully a different "becoming a DM" thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think for what you are trying to achieve, the actual DM part is not a major issue. Unlike most people looking for a DM cert, you aren't on a track toward instructor etc etc

I believe that with the goal of a card to allow you to step up into a leadership role in your team later on, an improvement of your situational awareness regarding others in the water (which in my experience is the biggest takeaway from DM course applicable to you) and a chance at a working vacation, your plan to travel somewhere nice to do the course will be the best ROI for you.

Im sure that you could also find someone to tailor a DM course for you to focus on the parts you really need to get the most value out. If you are ever in my neck of the woods I'd be happy to do that for you and Im sure many others would as well. That is more likely with an independent instructor though, the big dive ops have a streamlined machine in place and it doesn't usually cope well with custom courses etc.

Do it in your environment. I agree with others, a tropical internship will not teach you too much usable things in your situation.

I have gotten my DM material and will work with my local instructors this fall to do the skills portion.

Back
Top Bottom