Use Doubles on 30lb wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A single tank wing used with doubles can bend your backplate since its not wide enough.

evidence of that? that sounds rather ridiculous since the OPV should go before even an aluminum plate bends permanently.... Not that it's a good idea for reasons that I'm sure were mentioned above, but that would surprise me if a plate was bent permanently by a wing due to the OPV springs

@Aquavelvet mentioned it not having enough lift which is ridiculous. 30lbs is more than enough for light doubles with a light exposure suit, the problem is a 30lb singles wing will be so restricted I'd be shocked if it had more than 10lbs of lift in the real world which is nowhere near enough.

To the OP, buy a proper doubles wing, if anything for your safety....

While I suppose it depends on the specific setup, it is my experience that a singles wing used with doubles will not develop its full rated lift.

On one recent occasion I made a mistake when packing the car and brought only a 30# singles wing and twin cylinders. I needed about 20# of lift for that dive and the wing wouldn't deliver it.

evidence of that? that sounds rather ridiculous since the OPV should go before even an aluminum plate bends permanently.... Not that it's a good idea for reasons that I'm sure were mentioned above, but that would surprise me if a plate was bent permanently by a wing due to the OPV springs

@Aquavelvet mentioned it not having enough lift which is ridiculous. 30lbs is more than enough for light doubles with a light exposure suit, the problem is a 30lb singles wing will be so restricted I'd be shocked if it had more than 10lbs of lift in the real world which is nowhere near enough.

To the OP, buy a proper doubles wing, if anything for your safety....
As you wish

The Deco Stop

It's like the old trick where you place a wooden ruler on a bench with half of it hanging off. Then place an 8" x 10" sheet of paper over the part of the ruler on the bench. Slap the part of the ruler hanging off, and the ruler will snap, being held in place by the air pressure over the paper. Even knowing this, I don't think I would have guessed that a wing would bend a back plate. Very interesting!

As others have eluded to, just get a doubles wing if you're going to use doubles!

A single tank wing used with doubles can bend your backplate since its not wide enough.

This is correct.

Don't half-ass tec diving (or doubles for recreational diving). Get a proper doubles wing. At the end of the day, the cost of the wing is a drop in the tec/multi-cylinder diving bucket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom