Tobermory Thanksgiving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My family lives near Barrie, and I am going there for Thanksgiving.

My thought is, the weekend itself, go diving at Tobermory and stay at a hotel there. Are the dive shops open? Anyone want to join me?

My family lives near Barrie, and I am going there for Thanksgiving.

My thought is, the weekend itself, go diving at Tobermory and stay at a hotel there. Are the dive shops open? Anyone want to join me?
Generally, things close up in Toby after Labour Day. You can still dive, but you have to make arrangements with specific dive operations to see if any will be open at that time.

Bonne chance,

Generally, things close up in Toby after Labour Day. You can still dive, but you have to make arrangements with specific dive operations to see if any will be open at that time.,

Sorry to be contrary, but this isn't accurate. Both G+S and Divers Den are going full bore after Labour Day... It's arguably the best time of the year to dive... the water is warm, and the days are cooling off a bit. Wind can be an issue, so best to keep an eye on the Marine Forecast.

The dive boats typically get pulled not long after... Those of us with boats carry on for weeks. My last dive last year was December 31. My first one this year was January 1. (Both shore dives...)

G+S is actually open year round, although sometimes on an on-call basis.

Thanksgiving can be quite busy for hotels, and many of them and many restaurants close following Thanksgiving. The Crowsnest Pub shuts down, but the Tobermory Brewing Company is open year round.

Sorry to be contrary, but this isn't accurate. Both G+S and Divers Den are going full bore after Labour Day... It's arguably the best time of the year to dive... the water is warm, and the days are cooling off a bit. Wind can be an issue, so best to keep an eye on the Marine Forecast.

The dive boats typically get pulled not long after... Those of us with boats carry on for weeks. My last dive last year was December 31. My first one this year was January 1. (Both shore dives...)

Thanksgiving can be quite busy for hotels, and many of them and many restaurants close following Thanksgiving. The Crowsnest Pub shuts down, but the Tobermory Brewing Company is open year round.

So, in short, that weekend should be good for diving providing the weather is good.

So, in short, that weekend should be good for diving providing the weather is good.

Yup... If you plan on staying in a hotel, you might be wise to book a room. Long weekends MAY require a two night minimum, but probably not. "Best value" is perhaps the Coach House a couple of km down the highway. "Best in town", I'd suggest the Princess. It overlooks the harbour, has a restaurant, is across the street from LCBO and a 2 minute stumble from the Tobermory Brewing Company.

If there is a few of you, Divers Den has a little cottage beside their shop... contact Kelly there... divers@diversden.ca (Tell her I sent ya!)

I'd invite you over for cocktails, but I will be returning from a dive trip in BC that weekend...

stoos pretty right on with all the info there ...but I would stay away from the bruce anchor motel staff is rude owner is a pr&$k and the rules they have are nuts check out trip advisor for more details

LOL. You'll notice that the BA wasn't on my list of recommended accommodations. Some places are more conducive to having smelly dive gear and mis-behaved adventures around their places. The Coach House is very diver-friendly. The Bruce Anchor is geared towards "normal" people. :yeahbaby:

There are other budget places near downtown like Peacock Villa or The Belrose Hotel. Very basic, but right in town.

Incidentally, crane day (to lift out boats) isn't scheduled yet, but likely the Friday or Monday after Thanksgiving (the Canadian one!). G+S may keep a boat in all winter so it could be available until freeze-up, but you might need 4 people or something.

If you have a private boat, you can pretty much dive whenever you want. I just remember being up there on Thanksgiving & having to call G+S to get fills; boat dives were pretty much impossible.

If you have a private boat, you can pretty much dive whenever you want. I just remember being up there on Thanksgiving & having to call G+S to get fills; boat dives were pretty much impossible.

Thanksgiving tends to be a very weather-dependent weekend. It's frequently quiet and it's entirely likely that the shop staff may need to pop out once in a while. Before I posted up above, I texted Kelly at Divers Den and this was her reply when asked about Thanksgiving: "Hell ya of course we're open. Most boats are fully booked."

SubMariner, walk-on charters can be tough to book but especially in the shoulder seasons. There tends to be more groups up then than individuals AND there is often an issue having enough Captains kicking around at that time of year.

Back
Top Bottom