Are dry suits worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good dry suit history. What about neoprene seals? Why do you prefer Latex?

Dry gloves ... neo wrist seals don't accommodate the rings.Several of my friends use neo neck seals and latex wrist seals for that reason. I prefer latex seals because they're easier to replace ... I could do it myself if I were so inclined. But my dive shop can turn the suit around in a day or two if I ask nicely ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I like my 7mm wetsuit but realize that there are some dives for which it just isn't warm enough. I've been thinking of making a transition to dry suit diving at some point. Previous advice in these boards has been that I probably would be happiest with a DUI CF200x, a suit that will end up costing me over $4,000 all told including undergarment and accessories.

I've encountered so many stories -- both here and in chatting with divers in person -- of dry suit problems that I'm genuinely wondering if it's worth it. Poor fit. Leaks. Expensive repairs. Dives called because of a flooded suit or seal problem.

Now we have this thread which paints an image of the experience of dry suit ownership that is hardly flattering. While the various facts in that thread's narrative are specific to a particular manufacturer, suit, and situation, there are also comments indicating that there is a customer service and warranty service problem in the dry suit industry as a whole.

Has anyone had a mostly positive experience with a dry suit? Meaning, ordering a suit that arrives promptly and fits properly, works reliably for a reasonable number of dives, and then can be repaired at a reasonable price and with a reasonable turnaround time when necessary?

Or are dry suits just something where we have to put up with poor quality and poor service because the market is small and there are no alternatives?
In a word: YES.

As with any piece of equipment, good maintenance goes a long way towards fewer problems. Add in being mindful of seals & that all-important drysuit zipper, and you will find that drysuit issues are really few & far between.

Example: my current drysuit is a DUI 350TLS that I bough new in 2000. Still happily diving it, albeit not as often as before since we live in FL. (Although there are still opportunities to use it here in the Winter.)

If you dive in water temperatures below the mid-fifties (degrees F) not only are they worth it, they will change the way you think of cold water diving (two thumbs up!). I wouldn't even think of going to Lake Huron for some wreck diving if I had to forego using my drysuit.

My drysuit is a bit of an anomaly. It is a Henderson neoprene suit, on the positive side no need for undergarments and if it floods (i.e. they all do once in a while) it becomes a wetsuit. Now for the negative, it is super buoyant and requires massive amounts of lead when used, like twice what I wear with a 5mm wetsuit.

Last edited:
This has been a very nice thread. Very informative. Interesting that not that many SB folks use either Viking or Hollis suits. Majority seem to be with DUI, Santi or Bare.

Do folks think that TiZips are inferior to metal zippers?

Thanks

Last edited:
This has been a very nice thread. Very informative. Interesting that not that many SB folks use either Viking or Hollis suits. Majority seem to be with DUI, Santi or Bare.

Do folks think that TiZips are inferior to metal zippers?

Thanks

I don't think so ... in fact, I have TiZips on all three of my current drysuits.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I must be crazy but I ordered my dry suit last night. I was at DRIS a bit early for my SDI OW online digital review classroom session. Pool sessions Thursday and Saturday. I was taking to shop staff that I intended to order later in the year, but I actually found out they would do their darndest to get it to me in time for my OW dives on Sept 17 and 18th. Mike the owner told me that himself that they would call the manufacturer and explain the situation. I was impressed. Another example of excellent DRIS customer service.

I ended up going with a USIA Techniflex suit. DUI would have been more than $1K higher, give that I needed a custom suit. A friend has a USIA and really likes it. I got purple trim, would have preferred pink, but USIA's pink is this insipid pastel shade. I wanted hot pink! Front entry, Velcro pockets, neoprene socks, replaceable seals. Will figure out which rock boots to get as well as which dry gloves.

I must be insane to get it before my pool sessions, but given the issues DRIS has had trying to fit me with a rental dry suit (I'm doing the dry suit specialty with my OW), it will be very nice to have my own properly fitting suit for the OW dives.

I have a man crush on DRIS, they are awesome. Always quick to answer questions and go out of their way to help. Good thing you are local to them. If I was local to them I would be divorced because I would always be "hanging" out there.

Drysuit would mean nothing for my dives today. 70F water and air. Shoulda used the shorty. Again, depends on comfortability.

I must be crazy but I ordered my dry suit last night. I was at DRIS a bit early for my SDI OW online digital review classroom session. Pool sessions Thursday and Saturday. I was taking to shop staff that I intended to order later in the year, but I actually found out they would do their darndest to get it to me in time for my OW dives on Sept 17 and 18th. Mike the owner told me that himself that they would call the manufacturer and explain the situation. I was impressed. Another example of excellent DRIS customer service.

I ended up going with a USIA Techniflex suit. DUI would have been more than $1K higher, give that I needed a custom suit. A friend has a USIA and really likes it. I got purple trim, would have preferred pink, but USIA's pink is this insipid pastel shade. I wanted hot pink! Front entry, Velcro pockets, neoprene socks, replaceable seals. Will figure out which rock boots to get as well as which dry gloves.

I must be insane to get it before my pool sessions, but given the issues DRIS has had trying to fit me with a rental dry suit (I'm doing the dry suit specialty with my OW), it will be very nice to have my own properly fitting suit for the OW dives.
Marie13,
Hello. We at USIA want to ensure you are 100% happy with your new suit. We think we have some different accent fabric that is much hotter pink than the material you looked at. If you want the hot pink, please call me and we can iron out the details. 800-247-8070
JJ, USIA

Marie13,
Hello. We at USIA want to ensure you are 100% happy with your new suit. We think we have some different accent fabric that is much hotter pink than the material you looked at. If you want the hot pink, please call me and we can iron out the details. 800-247-8070
JJ, USIA

JJ, thank you very much for your message. I just called the office and you were already gone for the day, but I talked to your boss, Kim. I'm going to keep the purple, as he explained to me that the pink they had would fade much quicker than the purple.

And Kim said there should be no issues having my suit in time for my OW dives. Outstanding customer service. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom