Introducing National Scuba Instructor Alliance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Instructor Alliance

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
SURVEY : There is approximately 30% of the scuba market that WELCOMES an individualized mentorship style training program - - at ALL levels - - and are willing to pay adequately for the difference.
We would like to find out if there are some instructors who would be interested in learning about a viable training system that is VERY attractive to that 30%.
MENTORSHIP TRAINING SYSTEM ADVANTAGES : • Much higher than average $/hr. net to instructors. • Avoid high volume adverse exposure. Avoid high stress. • Build your own personnel base for additional training – trips. • Focus on the journey, not the destination – training becomes FUN. • Easy flex schedules – no need to train in adverse conditions. • Several viable options if compatibility with local shops is a problem. • Much less ego - - but far more pride in the WEAKEST student you certify.
Training individuals CAN be very different than trying to balance a group or individual with ONE SIZE FITS ALL skills and techniques. There are many possible advantages such as - provide excellent buoyancy techniques as the FIRST wet skill set followed by comfortable mask and regulator clearing WHILE SWIMMING – which allows a remarkable adventure on the first open water training dive. From there on the results can be amazing. LET THE RESULTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION www.nsiausa.com

Years ago when I first was trained as a scuba diver most of the instructors were commercial divers or former military divers. The way I was trained was a much longer commitment than a few weekends...harassment was an expected part of the course to train for emergencies and over the course of a couple of months diving three or four months you became a pretty skilled and comfortable diver.
You paid ALOT for this training. There was no such thing as an inexpensive dive class where I lived. You saved for it and when you could afford it you called the scuba shop and got started. We had three divers in the class...and 4 instructors. One was a former Navy Seal, two Green Berets and a retired commercial diver. Minus the harassment this is the level of instruction I wanted and expected.
When I started teaching there were only one or two instructors who I had met that told me that I could be successful as an Independent Instructor. They not only told me I could be successful but steered me away from wanting to work in a shop.
After I was certified I made the rounds of the local shops and in talking to the instructors (current and former) I found most of them were making $15 to $25 dollars per hour with class sizes of 10+ No way did I want the responsibility for 10 or more students for $15 dollars and hour. So I set up on my own as an independent instructor. Best thing I ever did.
I only do one on one..totally customized training for my students. I average over $40 per hour and have ZERO stress working one on one. I am able to build a true relationship with my students and have over a 85% continuing education rate.
I have built relationships with a couple shops in the area who don't view me as a competitor. I feed them students who buy equipment from those shops (they give my students the same discount as their students) and charter their boats. If I have someone who wants the "big class" experience" or is looking to be certified cheap I send them to those shops. I buy my equipment thru those shops and am able to provide my students with the use of different equipment to try before they buy.
Everyone wins.
So if you are an independent scuba instructor but think you HAVE to work in a shop guess again....you don't. If you want to have fun again, have almost zero stress and actually put some money in your pocket give becoming an independent instructor some thought.

SURVEY : There is approximately 30% of the scuba market that WELCOMES an individualized mentorship style training program - - at ALL levels - - and are willing to pay adequately for the difference.
We would like to find out if there are some instructors who would be interested in learning about a viable training system that is VERY attractive to that 30%.
MENTORSHIP TRAINING SYSTEM ADVANTAGES : • Much higher than average $/hr. net to instructors. • Avoid high volume adverse exposure. Avoid high stress. • Build your own personnel base for additional training – trips. • Focus on the journey, not the destination – training becomes FUN. • Easy flex schedules – no need to train in adverse conditions. • Several viable options if compatibility with local shops is a problem. • Much less ego - - but far more pride in the WEAKEST student you certify.
Training individuals CAN be very different than trying to balance a group or individual with ONE SIZE FITS ALL skills and techniques. There are many possible advantages such as - provide excellent buoyancy techniques as the FIRST wet skill set followed by comfortable mask and regulator clearing WHILE SWIMMING – which allows a remarkable adventure on the first open water training dive. From there on the results can be amazing. LET THE RESULTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION www.nsiausa.com

How long has this "agency" been in existence? How many Instructors? How many certifications?

Frankly, I've never heard of it...

How long has this "agency" been in existence? How many Instructors? How many certifications?

Frankly, I've never heard of it...

This is our initial introduction - we hope to be fully operational in a few months. We are currently gaining ideas and help from LIKE MINDED instructors ( those who see value in the philosophies listed on the site ). Instructors who fit that category may utilize the contact info on the site. Our core advisory represents 100s of years experience spanning over 50m years involvement with military, commercial and recreation training. As stated - our primary goal is collective benefits for INDEPENDENT INSTRUCTORS. Thank you for your interest.

Back
Top Bottom