ACUC nothamerica closedACUC is

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abnfrog

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Acuc NORTH AMERICA closed heres the email, if you read between the lines its easy to figure out , I resighned my adv instructor rating at the cover up of a fatality a few years ago its been going down hill for years under nancys leadership (sic). I saw this coming for awhile . I feel sorry for the other acuc instructors out there , they should be looking at a

On Thursday, August 18, 2016 12:38 PM, JRA <jra@acucinternational.com> wrote:

To all Barbados, Canada, Jamaica and USA ACUC members

Due to the unexpected shut down of the ACUC North America office in Port Dover, we regret to inform you that ACUC will momentary stop operations in North America (Barbados, Canada, Jamaica and the USA) until we find a new way of providing all our members in North America with the service you deserve. We are sorry but this shut down of operations was completely unexpected for us and did not receive any prior warning, so it will take us some time, we hope it will be short, to reactivate our North American operations again.

In the meantime please do not send or pay any new orders or diver registrations to the North American office, and we strongly suggest that you put stop payment to any charges from ACUC in North America for which you have not yet received the articles you ordered. We will keep you informed as things develop. You can continue using the same email addresses for ACUC in North America as these will be monitored and handled from now on and until further notice by our Global Client Support Personnel in Europe. Thank you for your understanding and patience

À tous les membres de l'ACUC Barbade, du Canada, de la Jamaïque et des États-Unis

En raison de l'arrêt inattendu du bureau de l’ACUC en Amérique du Nord à Port Dover au Canada, nous regrettons de vous informer que l’ACUC a momentanément arrêté ses opérations en Amérique du Nord (à la Barbade, au Canada, en Jamaïque et aux Etats-Unis) jusqu'à ce que l’on trouve une nouvelle façon de fournir, à toute notre clientèle de l’Amérique du Nord, le service que vous méritez. Nous sommes désolés, mais cette fermeture des opérations était complètement inattendue, et nous n’avons reçu aucun avis préalable. Il nous faudra donc un certain temps, espérant qu’il sera bref, pour réactiver à nouveau nos activités nord-américaines.

En attendant veuillez ne pas envoyer de nouvelles commandes ou d’enregistrements de plongeurs au bureau nord-américain, et nous vous suggérons fortement d’annuler tout paiement pour lesquels vous n'avez pas encore reçu les articles commandés provenant de l’ACUC en Amérique du Nord. Nous vous tiendrons informés du développement des évènements. Vous pouvez continuer à utiliser les mêmes adresses e-mail pour l’ACUC en Amérique du Nord car ceux-ci seront contrôlées et gérées, à partir de maintenant et jusqu'à nouvel ordre, par notre personnel du soutien à la clientèle mondiale en Europe. Nous vous remercions de votre compréhension et votre patience.

Juan Rodriguez

ACUC President

http://www.acuc.es

upload_2016-8-20_13-36-45.pngupload_2016-8-20_13-36-45.png

When replying to an ACUC email, please always quote our original message in the body of your email and please, do not change the subject line of the email. Thank you

Cuando responda a un email de ACUC, por favor siempre incluya en el cuerpo de su email, el mensaje que nosotros le hayamos enviado y por favor, no cambie el asunto del mensaje. Gracias

Lorsque vous répondez à un courriel de l'ACUC, S.V.P. veuillez toujours citer notre message original dans votre réponse et surtout, veuillez S.V.P. ne pas en changer la référence ex: Re:..... Merci

Wenn Sie auf eine ACUC Email antworten beachten Sie bitte das sich die Originalnachricht welche wir Ihnen geschickt haben im unteren Teil der Email befindet. Bitte ändern Sie auf keinen Fall die „Betreff Zeile“. Danke

Quando si risponde ad un email ACUC, per favore includere sempre nel corpo dell'email di risposta il messaggio originale che abbiamo inviato e per favore non cambiare il testo del messaggio. Grazie

cross over to other agencies .........

I am ACUC OW certified, glad that I went with a shop and got SDI AOW. I still haven't got my OW card from them, however I already have my AOW card. Kinda silly.

yes acuc isn't recognized in a lot of places sdi is (and in my opinion a better agency BY FAR) im glad their going away ( the way they handled the fatality drove me away ) and it was my first certification in the 70s ...... but I hope their instructors are multi agency, or making plans to get another agency . they have such a small presence they are not even viable any more , a few clubs here in Ontario is the biggest concentration . the US is almost nothing 8 instructors if memory serves . I think Nancy was just given her inst cert by her dad, (never did another agencies inst rating ) so credibility was always an issue im told by other IT"S .

yes acuc isn't recognized in a lot of places sdi is (and in my opinion a better agency BY FAR) im glad their going away ( the way they handled the fatality drove me away ) and it was my first certification in the 70s ...... but I hope their instructors are multi agency, or making plans to get another agency . they have such a small presence they are not even viable any more , a few clubs here in Ontario is the biggest concentration . the US is almost nothing 8 instructors if memory serves . I think Nancy was just given her inst cert by her dad, (never did another agencies inst rating ) so credibility was always an issue im told by other IT"S .
I trained with a club, and did not want ACUC certification at all, would have rathered one of the major groups. I knew ACUC was basically dead. If you can barely turn up a couple google search results about something you know it's barely known. I just accepted getting ACUC for cheap because I knew I'd be going shortly after for my AOW with a more well known place. So I may still not have my OW card, but I guess it doesn't matter much since I have my AOW card.

Been certified ACUC in 2011 and never had a problem getting it recognized anywhere. Interesting situation since last I heard, ACUC was the only agency recognized by the Canadian military.

Been certified ACUC in 2011 and never had a problem getting it recognized anywhere. Interesting situation since last I heard, ACUC was the only agency recognized by the Canadian military.
The Canadian military is the only reason ACUC still exists in Canada. I've never know anyone outside of the CF that has ACUC certification (well there was that one guy in Powell River in 1992 but I think he was ex-navy).

yes your right about the military, and if you travel like me you'd find a lot operations in out of the way places don't know about ACUC

yes your right about the military, and if you travel like me you'd find a lot operations in out of the way places don't know about ACUC
Oh I have been to places that didn't know about ACUC. But they still accepted the card. There are way too many certification agencies around these days, many of which even smaller than ACUC, to expect that every dive op should know about all of them. I think it would be rather silly for a dive op to reject a card simply because they haven't heard about the agency.

well I agree it silly NOT to know ALL the agencies as a 5 star facility owner I make it my business to know all the agencies and with the internet there is no excuse , but it does happen, if I have a referral from a lesser known agency I have a responsibility to know what that agency taught or doesn't teach . that being said I have seen it with my own eyes of a dive operator NOT excepting a ACUC DIVE GUIDE card in the islands the diver only had THAT card on him (as it was his heist rating ) I had to issue a temp card for him to dive . but this topic looks like its a moot point now . all I can say is IF they start again I hope juan puts someone with REAL experience in charge . oh and by the way the Canadian military do except other agencies but as a good Canadian institution they support a Canadian company . bob originally made ALL C F Clearance diver quals, acuc instructors (it was a business decision to grow the company ) as a newer diver you wouldn't know that but I was there when it was done . also acuc was offered to me and another IT years ago when bob wanted out , but we weren't interested , I couldn't see a big future for the agency at that time . just a bit of dive history here in Ontario .

Last edited:
My dive guide in Cuba was ACUC. American based agencies were not welcome there.
Which fatality are you referring to, OP?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom