Wrist computers - what are you using?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nikole

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This question is for open water and advanced open water, nitrox divers.. (no tec divers..) what wrist computer are you currently using, how long have you had it and what do you think of It so far?

I still use my "old" Oceanic Geo 2.0. Think I bought it in 2012 right when they came out. i think its great - does everything I need it to do and doesn't take up much space on my wrist.

You will probably find more specific computer related answers in the Computer section of the forums. Lots and lots and gobs of info there..

Mares Puck for several years now. Does everything I need and hasn't let me down yet. Also inexpensive. My only complaint would be that the data cable for downloading dives is expensive, but there are cheaper aftermarket alternatives.

I currently have no tech training, but I am headed that way. I have used 2 computer since I started diving. A suunto vyper air, and a shearwater petrel 2. the vyper air was a fine computer for shallow dives and probably most ocean dives, but I ended up replacing it because it was hard to read at depth in a quarry with limited light penetration. I did enjoy the air integration though. I switched to a petrel 2 primarily for the visibility. In rec mode it is a great recreation computer with clearly visible display, and all pertinent information easy to discern. The only thing I miss is having the AI to calculate my SAC rate without having to remember to record starting / ending pressures.

I am OW, AOW, and Self Reliant from Padi. I currently use my Geo 2.0 (since 2010), Hollis TX1 (for air integration), and my new Shearwater Perdix.

I only use my Geo for warm water diving. I don't like how it feels over my dry suit.

I love the Perdix because I can match my buddy's dive computer algo with some tweaking of the GF and the beautiful display. For the most part it exceeds my needs, but I am shallow, looks mean something to me.

I enjoy my Hollis for the AI. If only the Perdix had AI...

Uwatec Aladin TEC 2G for me. Nothing fancy, priced right, and does what I want it to do.

The only issue I've had was with the Irda connectivity. Initially it was hard to find drivers that worked for the receiver I bought (you don't need the expensive Uwatec/Scubapro receiver) with Windows 7. Then initially with Windows 10, there was no Irda support at all. Only recently that has been rectified and everything works perfectly again.

I'm using Oceanic Atmos and a XR2 for backup. Both have large, easily readable numerals. Pretty easily customized settings too.
Battery change is straightforward but does require some nimbleness of the fingers.
Both thermometers steadfastly refuse to go any lower than 54 degrees F. Data cable connectivity can be an issue at times, but its just a matter of wiggling and maybe clean the contacts.

I've been using them for years now, maybe nine for the XR2 and a little less for Atmos. The Oceanic software (MS version) I have been using is serviceable but akin to Spock's "stone knives and bear skins."
Looks like they may have upgraded but I haven't bothered to install it. I must not be too inconvenienced by said knives and skins...

Uwatec Aladin bought in 1995 (and then a few used units from eBay as my backups)

I love the large easy to read screen with no need to push buttons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom