Anyone ever been in an accident in Bonaire w/o their insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TT_Vert

Contributor
Reaction score
Before I went I knew my CC would not cover trucks. I opted not to get the rental company insurance as after reading the fine print it does not cover the other vehicle involved and regardless if I'm at fault they take a $1000 from my CC until they figure out what the insurance companies decide. Now here is the rub.

I was in an accident while on Bonaire. I was in a 40km area (~25mph) where a car was going well beyond that. I turned in front of him as he was quite a distance away and he ended up T boning me, putting my on two wheels and destroying both of our vehicles. I saw the car off in the distance and had more than enough time to turn if the vehicle was even remotely going the speed limit. I'd guesstimate he was going over 60 MPH and probably 50 when he hit us. The officials that came measured his 50' of skid marks and took pics (As did I) and took a statement from me. My question is, do they actually investigate this stuff? Based on forensic evidence, damage to vehicles, skid marks, etc. he was going well beyond the speed limit but do they actually care? I know in the US that me turning in front of a vehicle is my fault unless the other vehicle is deemed to be at an an excessive speed. The person who came out to take the report was friends w/ the local who hit me (Fist bump when he arrived sort of confirmed that) which probably does not bode well for me. They're holding my 1k on my CC but I'm wondering what the next step is (They really had no info for me when I got a new rental). I really don't feel this was my fault in any way and cannot see having to basically buy two vehicles due to this guys excessive speed. I did send an email to the company w/ pics and my side of what exactly happened. Hopefully they go to bat for me but if they don't and I'm found liable do they generally just take that 1k or go after you? I think I know the answer just hoping someone else has been in this same situation.

It seemed they were a bit shady just in the short time we waiting in line to pickup/return a vehicle. (Charging people twice for insurance that they already bought, charging for damage in a spot already circled on the sheet, etc.).

Thanks for any input/opinions you may have.

Dave

Last edited:
My opinion is you decided to not be insured, in a foreign country. Good luck.

The coverage is very limited even if I did opt for it. I suppose I should state I would like constructive opinions/input.

Can't speak for Bonaire, but we've messed up our rental car in Europe one time. Declined the local insurance as Amex had us covered. Reported the damage at the checkout and referred them to Amex as per contract. Never heard from them again. Also never heard from Amex - they never received a claim of any sort. The whole thing kinda seemed to have disappeared.

The coverage is very limited even if I did opt for it. I suppose I should state I would like constructive opinions/input.
LOL. I'm sure you would!

If you had purchased the insurance, at least you could have argued you had done what you could. Like I said, good luck. Suggestion: don't be an ugly American and remember you are in a country where politeness and remorse can be helpful.

Can't speak for Bonaire, but we've messed up our rental car in Europe one time. Declined the local insurance as Amex had us covered. Reported the damage at the checkout and referred them to Amex as per contract. Never heard from them again. Also never heard from Amex - they never received a claim of any sort. The whole thing kinda seemed to have disappeared.
Prior to heading there I did call my CC they stated trucks are not covered but SUV's are. We got a pickup truck which they consider a truck unfortunately.
LOL. I'm sure you would!

If you had purchased the insurance, at least you could have argued you had done what you could. Like I said, good luck. Suggestion: don't be an ugly American and remember you are in a country where politeness and remorse can be helpful.
I've already left the country so that's not much of a suggestion lol. The only remorse I have is that certainly locals cannot even attempt to follow the speed limit. Sort of hard to judge speed when a vehicle is exactly oncoming at well beyond double the posted speed limit. Looked at him, looked at the street I was turning on, began turn and before I could even get half way through the intersection he was locking up his brakes. Hopefully whoever does look at these reports spots these signs and realizes what they're looking at. My wife is a LEO and has extensive training in accident investigation, reconstruction etc. and she said she'd easily be able to determine that excessive speed was the primary cause of the crash, hopefully these guys see the same.

I wish you luck. Worst case you now have a country you won't be able to go back to.

i'm more worried about a civil suit than anything else. That is what I would forsee if they find me liable. Not sure it would come to that and input on that would be great. I could imagine them using their own body shop and saying to fix both cars it cost $60,000. There was a bunch of damage given the speed he was going. Like I said he put me up on two wheels and was a few inches from flipping me onto my side.

Dave

Be happy no one was injured!!! Good luck. It is interesting to read the full insurance coverage (ab rentals) and note that if the accident is caused b u u are covered, but if caused by other party and they are not insured you are liable!!! My takeaway is to always make sure its your fault :wink: Again, glad no one was injured.

Yeah the insurance really covers little to nothing in the event of an accident. Each is a bit different but in reality it is next to useless. People just don't read the fine print generally. I called and specifically asked for details and was shocked at what is covers. If this was a small local company I couldn't care less but this is an international rental company w/ a Bonaire franchise I'm guessing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom