How to swap light & reel between hands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, would like to hear what is your most efficient method to use when you need to move your can light and primary reel from your left hand to your right, when you need to free up your left hand.

I cup the reel with my right palm and slot my thumb into the reel handle, and index finger into the can light handle, but its not very stable (light jiggles around).

Thanks

Exactly the same as PfcAJ.

Either a commercially made thumb loop or a piece of bungee stretched over the top of the light to provide the same functionality.

Thanks all. I experimented with this while diving the last week and think I found my favourite way. Right middle finger through reel, right thumb through the can light thumb hole.

What are you trying to do with your left hand? If I am just stopping and not continuing to lay or retrieve line I grab the spool of the reel with my right hand to keep it stable, then slip my right thumb into a bungie that runs over the top of the light head.

If I want to lay line with my right hand, I usually leave my lighthead on the left hand and put up with some extra movement if I use my left hand to aid tying it off. It its a quick buoyancy correction I might do either depending on the situation.

Hello, would like to hear what is your most efficient method to use when you need to move your can light and primary reel from your left hand to your right, when you need to free up your left hand.

I cup the reel with my right palm and slot my thumb into the reel handle, and index finger into the can light handle, but its not very stable (light jiggles around).

Thanks
The idea described below is a technique to transfer both the Primary Reel and Can Light Head from the Left Hand to a sure grip Right Hand hold.

Start in initial configuration with left hand and fingers curled through the Light Head Goodman Handle in the usual manner & orientation, together with fingers & thumb also grasping the Primary Reel's handle. If you were laying or reeling-in line, turn thumbscrew & lock the Primary Reel.

Temporarily grasp Primary Reel drum with right hand and change holding grip of left hand on Primary Reel to just your left thumb & forefinger holding the handle -->slide thumb & forefinger down to make as much room as possible in the handle's slot in order to accommodate the fingers of your right hand. Quickly with Right Palm facing up, slide your four fingers of your right hand through the Reel's handle slot opening as far as they can go. Leave the right thumb free. The Primary Reel is now transferred to the right hand, palm up with the right fingers hooking through the Reel's handle.

Still holding your Can Light with your left fingers curled through the Goodman Handle, now turn your Left Palm facing Up and bring the Light Head over to your right hand -->cup & grasp the Light Head's barrel with your four fingers & free thumb of your right hand, and slide your left hand out of the Light Head's Goodman handle . . .your left hand is now free to check SPG, retrieve left pocket contents etc.

Note: again don't forget to first lock your Reel to prevent excess line spooling out/"bird's nesting". Have buddy help maintain line tension and prevent line entanglements. . .

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom