UV glue drysuit repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shenzhen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is your favorite dry suit leaks, but the hole is not visible?
You can find and fix it just in 60 second!
We already use this method for our dive team.

Apply UV spray the outside of the drysuit.
Spray is designed to search for the smallest damage and easily penetrates through the holes in a drysuit.
Light UV torch inside the suit and you will immediately see where the leak is.
Apply a small amount of UV glue on the hole and UV light it for just 30 seconds.

UV adhesive has excellent adhesion to three laminate, neoprene and most other materials. Glue is very fluid, easily penetrates through the hole and it improves the quality of the repair. After polymerization the adhesive becomes like a soft and elastic rubber.

1. Ziglo water washable fluorescent penetrant

2. UV glue

3. UV torch

http://www.athndt.uk/magnaflux-products/magnaflux-zyglo-zl-60c-water-washable-penetrant-400ml

Just picked up a similar product from RiteAid in California. No UV penetrent with it, but the kit cost $9 "5 second fix" Should work well. It is probably the same type of resin used for windshield repairs. I like the larger supply with the link above.

Caution: It only cures where the UV can penetrate.

There are three types of UV glue: soft, medium and hard. We used soft (LOCA UV TP-2500).

This is a great idea/article. Does anyone have a good source for a single can of the Zyglo ZL-60C in the USA? Grainger carries these products, however they do not have the "ZL-60C" in their inventory. I did however locate "ZL-60D" which has an almost identical description here Magnaflux ZL-60D - 16 oz. Aerosol

How does the LOCA glue stand up to salt water? What is the longest time one of your repairs have held up. Thanks

They are polyuretan based and easily withstand salt water. The first hole in my dry suit was repaired 1,5 years ago.

Thanks shenzhen. I've ordered some and will see how it works on pinholes in my wing bladder. I'll report back. I've used AquaSeal very successfully in the past, but this should work MUCH faster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom