Certified as of today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nikkib

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just completed all of my training, and I'm so excited. I can't wait to go diving for fun. What is a good website to purchase gear, or should I purchase everything in a dive shop piece by piece?

I just completed all of my training, and I'm so excited. I can't wait to go diving for fun. What is a good website to purchase gear, or should I purchase everything in a dive shop piece by piece?
I suggest you spend lots of time reading thru new and old threads on SB. This will help to fine tune your BS filter. You will need it.

There are two extremes (you may find you slot somewhere in the middle?):
a) drink the koolaid and blindly buy everything from your LDS
b) fully learn about your gear and then buy the proper stuff from the proper place (some online, some LDS)

If you are a) above, then you can stop reading now...

Somethings need to fit to work properly (like a mask). Use your LDS for these purchases. I also buy booties at my LDS. My divebuddy wants a new BCD, this will be bought locally not online since fit is important.

Other things are pretty generic and can often be purchased cheaper online and delivered quicker than your LDS: dive lights are an example.

Some gear is highly specialized and your preference may not be carried locally - think camera gear, custom prescription masks or custom fit wetsuits...

Lots of gear is hyped like crazy by the marketing folks: snorkels, fins, regs & computers...

Asking questions is the first step! Applying your BS filter is the next.

Hi Nikkib and welcome to the wonders below the waves! I see you are in Radford, Va. I got my bachelors from Radford but that was many years ago.

As to gear. I bought mine very early on, during my OW class but I hear alot of advise to wait and dive awhile before making this substantial investment. For me buying early was the right choice but not for everyone.

Nothing bets getting the right fit and that often means an LDS or travel. But other things, like dive computers are less personal and there are many online sources that are reliable. Remember too that some local dive ahops will meet or beat online prices when asked.

Thanks guys, I just purchased my mask and snorkel at my LDS they have a fit to function, and great student discounts. They also rent equipment at a real cheap rate, so I plan to purchase piece by piece monthly so it it won't kill my wallet Lol. thx guys for all the info and help.

howdy and welcome from southeast Florida and congratulation on completing your scuba training .....now the world is actually your oyster.....

Congratulations!

While researching your choices, try renting different BCD's and see if any particular model is better for you.

Giffenk provides some really good advice. Personally, I do try to support my LDS when I can. Yes, I often spend a few more bucks than buying on-line, but I really like my local shop; they provide me great service and I want to support them. In particular, I would suggest buying a regulator from your local shop as they will also be able to service it.

Congrats on your completing your cert. I originally bought a packaged deal and have upgraded everything since. I would rent a time or two as you make up your mind what you really want.

to be a smart new diver, you should go find a local dive shop (LDS) where the staff knows that they are doing, where they value you as a customer, where they will help you develop as a diver, and will work with you on getting the best and right gear for you.
this is not an easy thing to find!

if you are going to dive regularly, buying used gear may save money but not be best. I tell my students to buy new quality gear. Too much of what you find on e-bay and such is older stock and out of warranty. i've had several students come to me with that great deal they got only to find parts are no longer available.

a good LDS is the backbone of the dive industry. It should be a place you can go to just talk about diving and where you go to meet local divers and where to find out about upcoming dive trips. A good LDS will just give you that 79 cent part when you need one. A good LDS will meet the price of that stuff on the internet. You can create a relationship and yes....a friendship with a good LDS.

The LDS i frequent is Stuart Scuba in Stuart, Florida (www.stuartscuba.com). The owners are on-site, the staff well trained and experienced. I had a problem with a deco cylinder and i needed a new one. They didn't have one in stock but the owner loaned me his personal deco cylinder. That is the kind of service that you can't get on Craig's List. After that i started giving all my LDS business to them.
Several months ago, my relationship with them deteriorated and they made it clear that they no longer wanted me as a customer. So now, i am part of the senior staff at Stuart Scuba! :)

We are all divers in the shop and most of us are instructors for multiple agencies and most of us are trained to very high levels (tec, trimix, cave). We match prices on the internet and do not bother selling stupid crappy stuff to our customers. We try and focus our customers on what they really need to grow with and enjoy this sport.

If you are ever in Stuart Florida, come say "hi"!

Back
Top Bottom