September Diving in Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlevine

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering a trip to Ambergris Caye the first week in September. I was planning to dive with Ecologic Divers which is where I have gone for the past several years but they'll need to rebuild post Earl. I know some shops start to close during September to give their teams time with their families and because of the smaller crowds. Does anyone know which dive shops will be open that first week? Or will everyone be shutting down?

I would contact them directly. Before Earl, there was a lot of turnover in shops going on. IOW some of the shops that had their pier destroyed, may move to another less damaged place. Also, the few shops that are able to go diving, may want to stay open through slow season since there is a lot less competition right now. Further, things change and many shops make it up as they go along as far as closing for slow season. I have dove with Island Divers in September October and November on separate trips. However even Rudy needs a vacation once in a while. I had heard that Ecologic had been sold before the storm. I would also guess that Ramon's will be looking to operate out a temporary place since they have a bunch of boats and DMs ready to go diving. The smaller shops that got trashed, may be a lot slower to reopen if they ever reopen. Amigos del Mar is likely ready to go diving. I know that White Sands dove yesterday.

I am considering a trip to Ambergris Caye the first week in September. I was planning to dive with Ecologic Divers which is where I have gone for the past several years but they'll need to rebuild post Earl. I know some shops start to close during September to give their teams time with their families and because of the smaller crowds. Does anyone know which dive shops will be open that first week? Or will everyone be shutting down?
Yes, check will local dive shops if you can. The photos I've seen from Hurricane Earl show a lot of damage to piers and structures near the coast. Article I read 2 days ago said they've restored power to half the island, don't know where they are with the rest. If you haven't locked in your plans already you might want to consider delaying or picking a new destination.

When I left AC Saturday morning, the power was on everywhere that I went.

Yes, check will local dive shops if you can. The photos I've seen from Hurricane Earl show a lot of damage to piers and structures near the coast. Article I read 2 days ago said they've restored power to half the island, don't know where they are with the rest. If you haven't locked in your plans already you might want to consider delaying or picking a new destination.
Here is the story I mentioned from August 5th: Ambergris Today | Stories | Coastal Devastation on Ambergris Caye by Hurricane Earl, Islanders Rebuild

Amigos started diving on Saturday.

Glad to hear Whitesands is diving too.

Jlevine, I wouldn't change my plans if I were you. It's going to take awhile to get all cleaned up but things are well on their way already.

I would be worried about it still being hurricane season but you already knew that. September can be glorious but really hot in San Pedro.

Amazing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom