Stay safe, Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just checked in with Ralph and Patty at Splash in Placencia. They came through the storm with very minor damage. They sent their boats upriver and took everything else inside.

Seahorse, which was right at the tip of the peninsula, didn't fare so well. The dock and shop are gone, but they had moved all their equipment to safety so hopefully they'll bounce back soon.

So far I'm not hearing reports of any casualties, which is a good thing. I agree with Chilly that AC will rebuild fast but BZ City and inland will be more problematic. Still, Belize has seen far worse than this and managed to rebuild every time. Moving the seat of government to Belmopan, although a PITA sometimes, was a pretty smart move. Kudos to George Price for making that happen.

Last edited:
Glad you made contact with Ralph and Patti. I'd believed they were ok because hadn't heard any reports of serious problems down that way and the time of Ralph's ladt post further relieved me. But I am surprised by Seahorse losing theirs.

I visited a month after Hurricane Keith, which visited its force against the island for 3 days and by the time of my arrival, it was hard to tell there'd been much of a problem, as long as I stayed beachside and front street. Things in the back streets took a bit longer to get straightened out but for most tourists, this wouldn't be noticed too much anyway.

Keith was different. It was northeast of town so the strong winds came in from the NW. My boat was tied by the soccer field and ended up at the upper end of the soccer field, along with many other boats. No damage. Had it right back in the water. The ones that survived had cut their way into the mangrove trees and tied up there.
This one came in south of town so it got the east winds of the top of the storm. But, as you said, the docks and palapas are quickly....although not cheaply, repaired.

I'm happy to tell everyone thst Island Divers suffered very minimal damage and they're pretty much ready to go!

I
I'm happy to tell everyone thst Island Divers suffered very minimal damage and they're pretty much ready to go!

I was there today and can vouch for that. They washed the sand out and raked the beach today. We sat in the shop and has a cold belikin and toasted the new shop building. The old one was totally obliterated.

Has the international airport reopened?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom