Laptops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine is the 11" Macbook Air. For traveling it is great, thin and light. The Flash memory has worked great for me. I like the idea of no moving parts or anything that might be exposed to salt air or humidity. It's just right when you are in cramped or smaller spaces yet is good to work on.

I stick to Toshiba + Lacie as temporary storage. Never buy anything from Dell or HP. My travel Toshiba is very light cause it has only a small solid hard drive (64 GB) so I have to use Lacie for temp storage. But battery life is very good.

+1 on going with a 13" size for travel over a 15".

So try something like Dell XPS 13", it's an outstanding machine.
Or a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (but be sure to buy a Type Cover).

An iPad Pro might be all you need, instead of an actual laptop.

Mac's are sweet... But there not durable, I'd be afraid I'd bust it on my trips.

Is loveno a tough computer.

I'm looking for a computer that can take the bumps and grinds for hard travel, light weight, about 15"

IMO a Mac is more durable that any standard laptop out there.

Mac if you like macs,12 or 13 inch model with retina screen. Otherwise I would strongly consider a Microsoft Surface Pro, which gives you an excellent screen that's good enough for precise touchscreen photo editing as well.

I have a 5 year old Macbook Pro. That thing is a tank. It got me through the last 2 years of college, 2 backpacking trips to SE Asia and 1 to Europe. It doesn't even have a dent. My only complaint is that it's slowed down a bit, but that's probably because I have so much crap on it that I haven't bothered to clean up.

With that said, my girlfriend has a Microsoft Surface Pro. I steal it whenever I can and I'd probably buy that when I replace my Macbook. The screen resolution is very nice. It's small and the keyboard is thin and removable so you can use it as a tablet. I think that would make it good for a liveaboard because you can easily carry it around to watch shows/read and relax or upload and show photos and dives on the go.

It's also cheaper than the Mac computers. Macs are nice but severely overpriced IMHO.

What type of laptop do you recommend for traveling and liveaboards?
It will be used for photoshop lightroom, email, Facebook, Skype, instagram and blogging.

Do you download logs from your DC to your laptop?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom