Virgin diver needs to go from no experience - employed ASAP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to suggest to my brother-in-law that he follow this thread. He's never seen a train wreck and this is a chance to watch one in slow motion.

Thanks for being an encouragement to a newcomer to your sport. Every sport has those people who view themselves as elitist within that sport, and belittle someone's efforts to get into the sport instead of encouraging them. So again, thanks for being that guy. If you have something useful as to HOW to make this happen, instead of WHY it won't work, please write that here.

Hi, I'm from LA, CA. I'm selling my business and will probably have 35-40k USD to exist on until I can start working as a scuba diver in some capacity.

I'm exploring everything right now. From best budget destinations, (tropical or sub tropical preferably), to costs not only for the courses, but cost of living as well in that country. I need to know minmum length of time from literally beginner, to a stage where I can seek employment as a diver. Possibility of working extra in exchange for housing or discount on courses?

Will 35k USD even be enough to exist on anywhere until I get to an employment ready stage?

Basically, I'm leaving my life in LA to seek employment, (and travel) as a diver, with about 35k and zero experience. This isn't a diving vacation, this is a career move. I need recommendations, suggestions, advice, reality checks, tips, and referrals. Come at me.

Thanks, Matt

There have been helpful posts on this thread. Find work in a location you would enjoy and pursue diving there with the goal of becoming a ful time dive pro. I agree with those who have said to first get certified before dedicating your life to something you have never done.

How do you know this is what you want to make your career if you are not OW certified yet? That is a huge change to make suddenly.

Figure out how long it will take to get an instructor card and a boat captain's license. Those are the thing I've repeatedly read that you need in order to make money in scuba. You might be able to get along with just one of those, but from what I've heard your chances are much better if you've got both.

Then figure out if you can pay for the necessary training with $35k. If you've got money left, then that's what you live on until you're done!

Figure out how long it will take to get an instructor card and a boat captain's license. Those are the thing I've repeatedly read that you need in order to make money in scuba. You might be able to get along with just one of those, but from what I've heard your chances are much better if you've got both.

Then figure out if you can pay for the necessary training with $35k. If you've got money left, then that's what you live on until you're done!

You mean like this type of boat training?

International Yacht Training | IYT | GoPro Utila

as a first step you should scout out local dive shop prices for getting certified. then get certified and do a dozen dives to ensure that you can dive and actually enjoy it. many people are not able, more people do not like it. you will likely still have 34k of your 35k left at that point.

this will also give you a cooling off period in which you can obtain a realistic understanding of what life is like working in the dive industry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom