Focus torch for macro photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not true. The focus light has a sensor and when the flash fires the focus light turns off for 1 second or so. The whole process of TTL is driven (on most underwater camera systems) by light from the flash using optical fibre, and it all happens at the speed of light. As quick as the light from the strobe reaches the subject the Focus torch will be off and have no impact on the TTL sensing, or in manual provide no 'additional' light. The issue with the focus light is it creates uneven lighting, red or white, the aim of the strobe is to provide an even light, so two is better!

Mine only turns off if the relative light of the flash to ambient is 'high', so in bright conditions it says on but the image is not affected, in dim conditions or night it turns off. I use the Focus Light on every photo, its on for the whole dive.

FIX Neo 1000 Mini WR

There is no mention of pre-flash:

Auto Shut-Off
That little round opening below the two red LEDs may seem innocuous but its full of magic! The Auto Shut-Off (ASO) of the Neo Mini detects the flash from a strobes and automatically shuts off the Mini's red or white light output. This feature frees the photographer from the need to dim their focus light to avoid undesirable side effects in the photo. Without dimming a traditional focus light, you can wind up with excess or conflicting shadows or an undesirable red cast in your photos. With the ASO feature those concerns no longer exist. After about 1 second from the ASO, the Neo Mini turns on again allowing you to capture the next series of shots.

I stand corrected, sir.

Seemingly technology advanced faster than my knowledge.

Just need to shoot at about 1/100th -1/125th or faster and the light won't affect the photo at all.
The Fix Mini W/R is a nice small light, or the iTorch V10 is the same power without the off/on feature and less expensive.

I have an Archon D11V video light. They're less than $60 on eBay.

It's a 110 degree beam angle, so no hot spot to mess up your pictures. And it is adjustable for high or low intensity.

For macro shooting, I think it would easily be bright enough to facilitate the camera focusing. But, at the same time, with a red filter over it, I suspect it would definitely NOT be bright enough to have any real effect on a photo taken using a strobe - even though it would stay on the whole time.

Simple, cheap, and (I suspect) effective. What's not to like?

About the red filter on top of the torch..... well i need to give a try the next time i go diving

....at the moment i "prepared" my small cheap torch (30 euro) with 2 home-made domes (see attached) white and red to switch during day\night dives

also i have another even smaller torch (scubapro nova light) so i will see which one performs better and hopefully without spotlight on the picture

lets see....

Attachments

• IMG_1605.JPG
    IMG_1605.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 33
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom