Yellow Brick Road

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searcaigh

Seahorse Wrangler
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Well after a neat dive with ScubaJenny at BHB, a plan was made to dive Yellow Brick Road on the Saturday to avoid the crowds at BHB.

At the beginning after a few little issues (wetsuit not zipped up, reel unwinding when swimming out, etc.) we dropped down to 3m and I am thinking WTF this is rubbish, hardly a fish around and totally dead coral silted out, but hey I am with ScubaJenny and if she says it's good then we are not talking bovine faeces here, I trust her judgement no matter what MB says.

So we swim then I spot a piece of live coral, where I take what I think was the best shot of the whole dive

full

we eventually reach the Yellow Brick Road. Well let me tell you the bricks are not yellow, but ...... what fish life!

At one point I was just hanging at 5m surrounded by fish ...... it was awesome ..... would have been better if I had checked my shutter speed but that is another story!

We found nurse sharks, was buzzed twice by a 2m tarpon, small rays swimming past, lots of angelfish (Grey and French), enough lobster for dinner for the next week.

full

They must know when the season is because I had my 60mm lens in this bug's face

There are many very small skittish fish here, excellent site for 105 / 100mm lens, but at the same time I would have shot wide angle had I known what it was like.

full

full

As we returned to the shore Jenny found a nudi

full

And then later I noticed an orange thing floating around above the bottom ..... tiny does not even begin to describe it, but I knew instantly what it was having seen similar in Indonesia .... a juvenile boxfish

full

And that shot clearly demonstrates the effect of shooting with a low shutter speed!

Jenny, many thanks for introducing me to you your two favourite dive sites sites here in Florida, you have given me a reason to return, both BHB and YBR are amazing dive sites, and I will be back for more, although the drive back to Orlando was stressful with the rain storms and looney drivers, plus getting lost in Orlando was not good, I did make it to my hotel before dark. Next time I will have the US map on my GPS.

Well after a neat dive with ScubaJenny at BHB, a plan was made to dive Yellow Brick Road ... I am thinking WTF this is rubbish, hardly a fish around and totally dead coral silted out, but hey I am with ScubaJenny ... I trust her judgement no matter what MB says... we eventually reach the Yellow Brick Road. Well let me tell you the bricks are not yellow ...!

She keeps trying that Jedi mind trick... thinking that if she says it often enough people with think the bricks are yellow! There are enough weak minded dive-droids around that they buy into her mind game... A couple of weeks ago we actually came across a yellow brick, but of course it was 10-12 miles away from the actual Road to Bimini... She pretended not to notice, and then diverted everybody's attention by grabbing a handful of detritus and conjuring up a tarpon... Sheese!

really enjoyed reading your dive report and photos....thanks for sharing...+1 for ScubaJenny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom