Critique my Sidemount Trim and configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MyronGanes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just started sidemounting and haven't taken the course yet. I've just been doing my own research and tweaking my gear after every dive. I would appreciate any constructive input on my current setup. I have the sidemount course scheduled in a couple weeks.

I hardly have enough experience to give you meaningful feedback, but I noticed you have weights on the tank cam bands. One recommendation I heard, and that I will just repeat here is that, you will feel more stable in the water by moving weights from the tanks onto your harness. It also helps if both you and your tanks are close to neutral. I have heavy steel tanks, and I really wish they were lighter. A bunch of things would be easier.

I've tried having no weights and less weight on the cam straps. These aluminum tanks are very floaty.

Here's a video of what it looks like with 2lbs on each tank instead of 4lbs. I have added lower attachment points which I've tried but the trim wasn't nearly as good as it is now. Thanks for the feedback

I've moved away from weight on the al80 bands and instead I now use two d-rings. Clipping them off on the lower ring when they get floaty.

In general critique, to balance your kit try hanging neutral and still. I suspect you may find your feet light.

Be sure to post your thoughts and self analysis after your training!

Like kr2y5 I have little room to speak. However, I did do the class in Playa del Carmen with Blue Life recently, and I have only done side mount with AL80s.

AL80s are much more stable when clipped to d-rings on the waist belt right at the hip point. Then another set closer to the buckle when the 80s get real floaty. It looks like you are clipping off on the back rail.

By the way we used no weight on the tanks.

You are facing a common problem with the Hollis rig.
The tank attachmet is loose and does not pull the tank tight.
Weighting the tanks is a common solution, but it does not work well in every situation/position.
You demontrate well the effect of overcompensation in your video:
Since you have weights on the bottom of the tanks your body is hard to get parallel to the tanks, especially if you place weight high on your body to compensate for the low weights on the tanks.

All considered that looks 'ok' for someone just before taking a sidemount course.
You will feel much more stable, even if you do not change anything, within a few weeks of practice after you get the instructor feedback.
Pay attention to small details in the class, especially regarding bungee and positioning of the low attachment point and cam-band/steel-clamp.

Last edited:
Instructor feedback isn't required in this situation since it is a gear setup problem.

Anyway, ditch the weights on the al80's, you are putting the weights there to try to get them to act like steel tanks, which they aren't, and shouldn't be treated as such. This rig was not designed for AL80's, so you are having to make the 80's act like steel tanks to get the rig to work as it was designed. Put d-rings fairly far back on your waist strap and another set down low similar to the Razor style location and use their lower attachment system if you are using AL80's, or try to find steel tanks of some sort. AL80's are idiotic tanks for backmount because they are heavier than comparable steels on land, hold less gas, and require extra weight on the diver to get them neutral which results in almost a 6lb dry weight disadvantage and 20cf gas disadvantage when compared to LP85's. The razor is designed around them because they are basically all that is available in Mexico, and the one advantage they do have for sidemount is you can don and doff bottles super easily like in the Toddy system. Don't use aluminum when you can use steel unless you have specific circumstances where the ability to pass bottles around is required. *I'm not really aware of any, but that's another subject for another day*. If you want to keep the SMS75, then I suggest moving to steel tanks if at all possible, and if not, at least rigging the bottles like the Razor guys and attaching it to the hips instead of the butt.

Aside from that, your suicide strap doesn't look particularly comfortable and I would move the attachment points to the 4/8 position on the mouthpiece if you are zip tying it in. That's just me though

The razor is designed around them ...
and btw: the Razor is not designed around aluminum tanks at all.
It is strictly designed to be used with any common type of tank and that includes steel tanks.

To the op. FWIW when I took SM with an instructor very familiar with the Hollis rig it was in steels but we discussed adaptations for al's and travel. He gave the two options, modify attachments or camband weights. His stated preference at the time was tank weights but I have not tried it yet myself.

I remmbered seeing this thread. Haven't read it all myself but there maybe something helpful.

Problems on Hollis sms 75 for Alu Cylinders? Just back from a sidemount class...

You may have said but if not do you plan to use al 80's or steels with your SM diving?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom