Lembeh Water Quality??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any ear infections that we have experienced (we live in Bali and dive all around the archipelago) have been attributed to fresh water that is drawn from the ground (local wells - known as Sumur locally). Often these wells are located within meters of the septic system, and so underground leaching of septic water into the well is almost guaranteed. Note: All resorts on Lembeh draw water from the ground! We know some local dive sites (Tulamben/Amed) where the septic system is right next to the well. We have had infections set-in overnight after showering after a dive at these locations. It took us a few infections to register the problem. But now never get them. A couple of our own rules:
  1. Always fingers over ears in showers of unknown water quality
  2. Wash ears with drinking water (Aqua in Indonesia) after each dive
  3. Dry ears with twisted tissue to draw maximum water from ear canal
  4. End of each day a few drops of home made ear drops in each ear (Formula = 1/3 acohol 70% to 80% // 1/3 Vinegar // 1/3 aqua water --- all of these ingredients are available in most supermarkets in Indonesia). Let the solution sit for minimum one minute in the ear canal, preferably a few minutes.
  5. Keep antibiotic ear drops at hand, first sign of a sore outer ear, add these drops to dry ear canal. Ear drops are readily available in chemists in Indonesia (chemist or drug store in Indonesian is "Apotik") the best brand names of antibiotic drops are: OTOPAIN or OTOLIN maximum $4-45ea bottle.
No more sore ears will result from this simple treatment.
By the way, don't worry about a few diapers (nappys) in the sea, best to look out for septic leaching!

Well, if you look it up in Wikipedia you will find that it maybe is not as weird as it sounds. Saliva (spit) contains a lot. Amongst others: Antimicrobial enzymes that kill bacteria.
But indeed no scientific proof what so ever. Anyway, it is cheap and you cannt forget to bring it. Just take care your buddies don not watch you, put some spit on your fingertip and then in your ear.
If I was joking I would introduce the PADI speciality "Buddy spitting".

Lol, the magic of spit! Many of us use it to keep our mask from fogging, why not use it to coat our ears? Shoot I'll give it a try.

Trash - Through education and programs, it is getting better. Before western conveniences, lunch would come in a banana leaf, eaten with their hands and beverages would come in a coconut; when they were done they would throw that organic waste into the ocean, river...etc. Now it's all plastic and they're learning that that isn't a proper way to dispose of trash, but it will take time.

Indonesia has nutrient rich waters, that's part of the reason our reefs can be so beautiful. In order to feed, much of the marine life on the reefs need these nutrients brought to them by our currents. Unfortunately, these nutrients love dark, warm wet places - like our ears - so it's important to clean our ears and dry them after each dive. I even use a home 50/50 ear juices after EVERY dive. Having sailed throughout the archipelago we've seen guests fall to ear infections everywhere, not just Lembeh. Proper ear and sting prevention is part of our briefing to guests on arrival.

Lastly, exercise those ears or they will punish you - As a diver you know equalizing your ears is important. But have you thought about how much extra work you are asking your eardrums to perform on a dive trip? Would you start jogging 5 miles a day after a 6-12 month hiatus or longer? Your muscles would be killing you! But that’s what some divers are asking your ears to do on a dive trip. And don’t forget the plane, they have a lot of work to do there too. So what do you do? Start exercising those eardrums and inner muscles. How? You already know how gently equalize the ears. Start doing it a week out, a couple times a day to get them back in shape, before you put them into shock diving 4 times a day for 7-12 days.

We certainly hope you don't let Lembeh discourage you (any diver from putting this remarkable place on their bucket list) or stop you from diving elsewhere in Indonesia.

We hope your ear infections have been resolved.

Best Fishes!

I use 50% distilled white vinegar (5% acidity) and 50% alcohol (70% denatured) with few drops of vegetable glycerin in a 2oz bottle which helps sooth the ears.

I use something like this after every dive. I got an infection about 7 years ago but I am pretty sure it was caused by one of those worms that swarm your light at night. They do make ear plugs that I might try out when I go back to dirty water.

I use Docs pro plug religiously & swear by it. Its made a difference for me setting me apart from the dreaded sore ears even after days of multiple dives/day when others began to have ear problems.

No endorsement insentive at all but i can relate to having an alemebt ruining ur dive holiday after such a long costly journey. A lot of 3rd world "stuff" can get us used to the 1st world standard.

Came down w bronchitis last time at indo. The cold dry air was painful to breathe.
Thanks for the report!

....Came down w bronchitis last time at indo. The cold dry air was painful to breathe.
Thanks for the report!

Sorry to hear you got sick while on vacation, but I couldn't understand the reasoning. Indonesia is hot & humid country all year. No cold & dry air, unless you were staying in AC room all day long.

Any ear infections that we have experienced (we live in Bali and dive all around the archipelago) have been attributed to fresh water that is drawn from the ground (local wells - known as Sumur locally). Often these wells are located within meters of the septic system, and so underground leaching of septic water into the well is almost guaranteed. Note: All resorts on Lembeh draw water from the ground!

So, you checked all resorts and after a thorough study you concluded the above? We would be very pleased if you could share these data with us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom