Question on sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
This is an AL Mikron first and second that I have had about 6 years, since I started diving. I don't really notice this while diving but it has gotten more and more noticeable on videos I shoot. Present before and after servicing. Does not seem to affect performance. Heard at roughly 18, 14, 8 and 2 seconds in video, on exhalation. So just what is it? Can I fix it?

Last edited:
O I have the same problem on my xtx50 (both primary and octo) but inhale
doesn't affect performance but reli annoying

Anyone can tell what's going on?

Hi ycc. I thought it might have something to do with the small size of the Mikron second but if you have had this too its unlikely. Since its at the start of an exhalation I assume its either the exhaust cover or diaphram and since its intermittent I think I might be contributing to the problem with a forceful exhalation when it happens. If now answer before then, next time underwater (2 months from now :() I will try and pay more attention to it.

I will probably take the reg to LDS for inspection recently, will update you later

Ok read the thread. Thanks for the link. Interesting. Well its not the MK 7 so not a design feature. :) Happens in water, not out. And exhalation not inhalation. I think I can pretty much rule out the lever or poppet/spring. I think I will have to go with the exhaust valve and forceful exhalation.

... Happens in water, not out. And exhalation not ...//... inhalation. I think I will have to go with the exhaust valve and forceful exhalation.
Yep. You are on it.

Play with it, I'd bet you can make any secondary "honk". I can make all mine sing. Agree, just start your exhale a bit more forcefully and you'll be fine.

Ok followup post. I removed the second stage diaphragm but left barrel in place. Cleaned the body, threads and diaphram. Reinstalled and that did it. No more scuba geese!

If it's gone, great... but while listening to it it occurred to me it may be an inadvertent vocalization on your part.

I find myself doing that occasionally when editing my own videos.

FWIW: I had a buddy whose regulator had a loud squeal on a couple of dives. I just clipped out that portion of the sound track.

If you add music to your videos a lot of these little things get hidden. :wink:

The vast majority is bubble noise. Short of using a rebreather, try moving the camera's mic farther from your second stage. Finding a more directional mic for your housing would also help. A double hose regulator might also work. Perhaps the simplest solution is audio editing software???

Back
Top Bottom