Floridians, are you preparing for lobster mini season?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have prepared by way of not scheduling any dives during the mini season. :crafty:

I will be getting the heck out of town.

x3. Mini season isn't worth it.

Have reservations on little torch key Sun-Sat two weeks after regular season opening weekend, hopefully clear out some by then on weekdays. I've had 12 dives in keys over the last 4-5 weeks and have see only a few lobsters per dive, and I am a life-long lobsterer with attuned eyes. I guess they're coming along an along...

I am ready to go and took the week off of work.

Well it is a zoo but it also isn't.... and that's the beauty of South Florida.

For the previous 8 to 12 years I stayed as far away from mini-season as I could. Mainly because I got sick and tired of the characters that show up on the charters, didn't matter that I tried to ignore them, at the end they affected my dives and one year actually took away my 2nd dive of the charter because some Einstein decided to get hurt for a lobster.

Fast forward to last year, my son gets very much into it... would be his first freediving instead of scuba. He actually went out at midnight with his buddy. Was pretty cool to wake up to a sink full of lobster instead of our typical one to three or four during the regular season. So my husband and I decided to go for it, that Wednesday we were busy but went out Thursday around 1000 or so in the morning, didn't get a full 12 each but added a few to my kids bunch, without any drama. Actually it wasn't much different than any other dive we make any day of the year. True we don't deal with charters anymore because we go out with our little boart, but it isn't the only route.

I read Wookie response and see a copy of my typical jaded response about anything that is the touristy side of Florida but thanks to fresh young eyes (my son's) I can tell that is not as bad as we old farts make it out to be.... go and enjoy your mini-season if you can, who knows, one day you may not be able to be in Florida those days of July, don't take things for granted.

Oh what bull! Ana, you know that people in this area are possessed. Even the short blue haired ladies who cannot see over the steering wheel will sell themselves to Al Queada for the chance to poach pregnant lobsters and feed them to the bald eagles! Why just last week at your manatee BBQ you were trying to get people to sign petitions trying to ban Mini Season. We old farts got to become old farts because we avoid Mini Season...

You guys are so lucky. Maritime Canada prohibits taking lobsters unless you're a commercial fisherman.

Back
Top Bottom