Entries through breaking waves.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I drove to a local site today, only to find breaking waves. I had to scrape the dive. I have no experience with entries in less than optimal conditions (most sites I visit are basically a salt-water outdoors swimming pool), but I understand that backmount divers in places like UK do this all the time and don't think of it much. What's the strategy for entries through breaking waves in sidemount? Does one kit up completely topside, and just walk in? Do you put on just the left tank, haul the rest behind and complete kitting up after getting down to 20 feet? I have no idea what works or doesn't, since I haven't dared to try. Any tips or tricks to share?

I do not dive sidemount, I do not dive rough water, and I see no reason for either. I do dive a rebreather with my bailout tanks sidemounted and do shore dives on occasion.

The rougher the water is, the more you need to be geared up before entering. You will never get your fins on if you are being thrashed by the waves and surf. It seems logical to me that if the waves are breaking then the best option would be to be fully kitted up and fins on your feet, then begin slowly and carefully BACKING into the water until deep enough to drop to the bottom and swim out.

I prefer walking in with tanks attached or put them on as soon as the water is knee-deep.
So more or less: walk in, put on first fin, drop into horizontal position, put on second fin already kicking and go out hugging the seafloor.

As someone who has interest in sidemount, it's a pertinent question for me as most of my dives are shore dives with breaking waves.

I've asked a few locals who do sidemount, and their response is they don't like to enter with breaking waves.

The main strategy is to drag one tank and kit up after the surf zone, or in shallow water. The biggest concern is returning from the dive as the waves are now lifting and pushing the tank towards you. The concern is getting knocked on the head.

I wonder if there are other strategies that are more optimal.

I do not dive sidemount, I do not dive rough water, and I see no reason for either. I do dive a rebreather with my bailout tanks sidemounted and do shore dives on occasion.

The rougher the water is, the more you need to be geared up before entering. You will never get your fins on if you are being thrashed by the waves and surf. It seems logical to me that if the waves are breaking then the best option would be to be fully kitted up and fins on your feet, then begin slowly and carefully BACKING into the water until deep enough to drop to the bottom and swim out.
When backing out always look at the waves. You never show the wave your back. If a wave is going to hit, turn sideways, go low, and lean against it. Always have your reg in as the things go fast in case you tumble. Dislaimer: BM doubles but the rules should not change for SM. A wave is a wave.

First of all there's breaking waves and then there is crashing surf. If I find the latter I'll move onto another site or activity. Sometimes it just means a more favorable wind exposure unless there's a bonafide storm nearby. If it's really churning the visibility prognosis is already poor. Nil visibility also calls for exceptional buddy methods.

In reasonable waves keep an eye on things, constantly.

At the shore the mask is set and gloves are on. My fins are clipped off to my BC so if I tumble nothing is lost. My hands are also free to mutually steady a buddy. BC is full and second stage is in hand or in my mouth. Snorkel is also oriented and ready to grab. The idea being that nothing will be lost and you will be able to breathe and recover.

As you walk in keep your fins to the side (however you carry them) to they aren't pushing you over. As soon as you are in deep enough water watch for the quiet part of the wave cycle and don fins. The depth change will be greater than usual with each wave. If you are on a significant slope you may soon be buoyant in deeper water. Usuaully you can touch off with your feet before getting swept in too far.

As soon as practical plan to drop to the bottom. If it's a rocky bottom site especially with outcroppings remember that you may be out of control without visibility at times and subject to smashing your head. Adjust plans accordingly.

Rough water entry is an unfortunately obscure AOW elective. Rescue diver should teach you to avoid the worst of the conditions.

Pete

My take on rough entries...

I walk in with fins off (clipped on my shoulder and tucked in my strap) Soon as possible I get under the waves and drag myself along the bottom, staying low and timing it with the surge of the waves. Once I'm deep I'll get my fins on and take swim dive posture.

As a note, not have a safe exit in case of trouble is the main reason I'll call a dive. Easy in is not always easy out said the lobster in the lobster pot...

Looking forward to the experienced shore divers to weigh in on this thread!

It helps to take the wave sideways, you have a slimmer profile then.
The tanks need to be attached 'somehow' in rough waters, but there is absolutely no danger of them 'hitting' you anywhere then.

It helps to take the wave sideways, you have a slimmer profile then.
The tanks need to be attached 'somehow' in rough waters, but there is absolutely no danger of them 'hitting' you anywhere then.
Have any video? I'm particularly curious about overhead waves.

Have any video? I'm particularly curious about overhead waves.
No, sorry, never had anyone with me with a camera not struggling with the waves himself.
We rarely get really rough waters and most people do not dive then and neither go to the shore with a camera.

Back
Top Bottom