Rental Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I'm probably being over cautious. ..:confused:
Sooo would you long time divers then consider classes and rental from the large hotel based ops...rather than the smaller ops? Or are those that responded referring to using the more mentioned smaller ops and the safety of their classes/ equipment?

Yes, I'm probably being over cautious. ..:confused:
Sooo would you long time divers then consider classes and rental from the large hotel based ops...rather than the smaller ops? Or are those that responded referring to using the more mentioned smaller ops and the safety of their classes/ equipment?
Classes?

IMO, the next piece of gear a new diver should buy after fins and mask is a dive computer. You should have your own and know how to use it.

Classes?

IMO, the next piece of gear a new diver should buy after fins and mask is a dive computer. You should have your own and know how to use it.
"Classes"-referring to we need to complete OW check out (referral) dives. Would like to stick with one OP for that and extra dives and equipment rental for this trip...
Computer is the next planned purchase but hoping to try a few out first and see what we like

Smaller operators regularly named here, although I don't have any experience with classes from the hotels. Is there a specific hotel you are considering? Everyone here has their favorite dive op that they will support and recommend with absolute conviction. And everyone is right..... The right choice is the one that meets your specific needs. The main variables will be 1. Departure location, 2. Tank size and options, 3. Surface interval location, 4. Boat size and # of divers, and, 5. Cost, although I think everyone is within $20 for a 2 tank dive. Many of the dive operators here will pick you up at your resort dock but you will want to make sure before you decide. We stay downtown and it's less than a block to our pickup dock. That works for us.

As a new diver, you may consider hiring a private Divemaster for your first couple of dives. Another option if there are at least 4 in your group would be to charter your own boat.

What is the right choice for you depends on what you are looking for.

Good luck,
Jay

"Classes"-referring to we need to complete OW check out (referral) dives. Would like to stick with one OP for that and extra dives and equipment rental for this trip...
Computer is the next planned purchase but hoping to try a few out first and see what we like
While many/most of the hotels do have reputable dive ops on site that are most likely perfectly capable of doing your check out dives, since you have the option, I'd strongly suggest going with a smaller private dive op that will likely devote more and more-experienced personal attention to you. You don't need the expense of the steel tank ops like Aldora and Living Underwater, but Blue X-T-Sea would do a great job.

I bring all my own stuff except a BC. Long ago I owned and schlepped it down. They are heavy and bulky to pack coming and going + I quickly got tired of carrying it back and forth to the boat and especially cleaning it. In those days the boutique do it all for you service was not that common + it cost more if it was offered. I prefer to clean & dry my own stuff. The only time I had it done for me I got a damp, cold wetsuit the next day... yuck. Not a problem to rent a BC IMHO, just size it at the shop before you go. Also, don't forget to unclip all your doodads from it at the end of the day. I have (temporarily) lost octo holders that way.

One other thing that can be difficult to rent is a wetsuit. After my first trip with a rental I got my own asap. And since then I've dove with people who were not happy with what they got in a rental, like a full suit for winter. Americans tend to be.... big. If you are, you may luck out but don't count on renting one that fits right. Summertime can be easier for rentals as shorties tend to be more forgivable.
:snorkels:

I bring all my own stuff except a BC. Long ago I owned and schlepped it down. They are heavy and bulky to pack coming and going + I quickly got tired of carrying it back and forth to the boat and especially cleaning it. In those days the boutique do it all for you service was not that common + it cost more if it was offered. I prefer to clean & dry my own stuff. The only time I had it done for me I got a damp, cold wetsuit the next day... yuck. Not a problem to rent a BC IMHO, just size it at the shop before you go. Also, don't forget to unclip all your doodads from it at the end of the day. I have (temporarily) lost octo holders that way.

One other thing that can be difficult to rent is a wetsuit. After my first trip with a rental I got my own asap. And since then I've dove with people who were not happy with what they got in a rental, like a full suit for winter. Americans tend to be.... big. If you are, you may luck out but don't count on renting one that fits right. Summertime can be easier for rentals as shorties tend to be more forgivable.
:snorkels:
About wetsuits... I bought my shorty at Academy Sports in the water skiing department. It cost about half what a similar suit would have cost in a dive shop.

I have never rented a Sherwood Brut that failed to function. They may not be the best breathing regulator but they are a reliable rental workhorse that are easy to maintain. I have rented several other regs over the years that were so called newer and better breathing models that failed before I got them out of the dive shop door. Just because something is the latest and greatest with a high price tag attached doesn't mean it's the best choice for rental gear.

Before I'll jump in with a dive op recommendation I'll ask where you have considered staying? Some hotels / resorts have good on site ops with others close by & some don't, especially those north of town.

dive paradise/hotel coz
contacted tres pelicanos-they are affiliated with hotel barracuda-not sure about hotel though but thinking about seeing if they pick up at el cantil condos,
aqua safari didn't return email..i think they are close to condumel condos and that was another option...
We want to be close enough to town to walk there and we want to be on the beach...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom