What is a dive snob?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seems to be that there are 2 definitions of dive snobs going on here in this thread.
  1. the one that likes to dive in warmer waters
  2. and one that seems to be better than others
i personally would love to dive with someone with way more experience than
so which one are you?

I'd add a 3rd definition.
3. The one that selects his/her dives

For my first 300 or 400 dives I would dive anytime anywhere in any conditions. On live-aboards I'd be doing 6 or 7 dives per 24 hours, starting with the pre-dawn twilight, the morning dive, the pre-lunch dive, the early afternoon dive, the late afternoon dive, the evening twilight dive and the true night dive.

However in recent years I've seen significant decline in fish populations, both variety and quantity at most dive sites so many dives get frustrating, the cost/effort vs benefit has reduced.

So now I simply select my dives with care, opting out of many so as not to get frustrated.

@miketsp -- great additon -- i didnt think of that

i have yet to a LOB -- but this sept im going to get a chance at the flower gardens. im so excited. 7 dives for only 585

I get slightly snobbish about my dives. I'm not a fan of Night dives so choose a G&T instead.

Likewise I look for travel destination that have the type of diving I like.

I don't bother with people who are self important with their buddies. If you are experienced than you should look at the opportunity to pass on skills, techniques or advice to those not quite as competent. They probably are too nervous to ask.

My only true snobbishness is Florida's (I guess specifically the Keys) ridiculous claim that they are the world capital of diving. Oh Please. there are so many more diverse and fantastic places and if that's the attitude that prevails then I'll never dive there

I would place myself firmly in the category MikeTSP has suggested. I like travelling, I like diving.

I'd rather forego bland shore diving every day for the trips I do take. I tend to be an off the beaten path diver and love exploratory diving..if it's new, I want to be there before the crowds or cruise shippers get there. The dearth of marine life and overfishing and destruction of our oceans means I travel to more unique locations because that's where the remaining healthy scraps we've left behind are. If circumstance has given me this opportunity to have a look around the worlds less explored corners above and below the surface why shouldn't I?

I am not at all precious about who I dive with, my last trip included a guy on his OW checkout dives in Madagascar and I love diving with new divers and I've been lucky enough to meet some people with thousands of dives who inspire me to be better.

Next week I hope to dive with the first local islander certified as a DM on an island I've been eyeing off for decades.

So if I'd rather not shore dive Rockingham, it's not because I'm afraid of the viz (I was once lol) not because I demand warm water - I have Silfra on my list and my dream dive is Marine Iguanas...on the list.

I'd just rather seek and explore.

Maybe the snobs are the people who look at me and go...what's this strange old hippy woman doing on a boat like this :wink:

The snob list keeps getting bigger!!!!

Maybe I should have wrote the post to say "You know your a Dive snob if.....

You love to ridicule, look down and bad mouth other divers. "Condescending Snob"

You love to snub, ignore or just not even acknowledge the existence certain other divers. " Stuck up and conceded dive snob"

You only love warm water diving and won't even consider cold water at all! "Warm Water Snob"

You only dive on a nice boat with the same people all the time. " Private Boat Snob"

You only dive in cold water and alone. " Cold water Barbarian and solo snob"

You only dive when conditions are absolutely perfect. "Dive Princess Snob""

You only dive with people who have the best and coolest looking gear" GQ snob or Kardashian snob.

You only dive with guys who have the bare essentials, faded but works equipment. "The elite minimalist snobs "

Are you guys seeing what I am seeing!!!
Can it be that if you like one particular thing that separates you from a larger group, this can be enough to make you think you are some type of dive snob?
I am just asking because these people considering to be on the snob list have indicated many different types of reasons which I did not expect.

Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

I am proud to call myself an 80 / 80 diver. 80°F and 80 ft vis. It takes an awesome place and or dive buddies to get me to change that paradigm. Lol

In the spirit of Jeff Foxworthy...

If you've complained about the student bloom, you might be a dive snob.

If you've referred to a jacket style BC as a poodle jacket, you might be a dive snob.

If you've said that a dive computer is a crutch, you might be a dive snob.

If you've said that someone who uses air faster than you is a hoover, you might be a dive snob.

Ron

Interesting thread! Our friends call us dive snobs because we won't just go on a dive to blow bubbles. We tapped out in Cozumel after one dive because of the choice of dive boats/captain/ dive master. We only did a few dives in Dominican Republic because of conditions, we decline to dive in Jamaica because of "40 shades of brown". But we dove every day in Belize and Roatan, multiple dives in Key Largo, and 3 tanks every day in Little Cayman plus night dives. It's not who I dive with, nor equipment, it is only based on quality of the dive experience. We are going to Italy soon and one wants to dive just so he can say he did it. We won't dive just for a stamp. Does that make me a snob? Well don't take this wrong but if it does I will loan you my phone so you can call someone that gives a crap. I am comfortable with my decisions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom