Travel BC vs. BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When we traveller to Indonesia in April, we packed regs in carry-on, and backplates (2x aluminum), wings (33lb tecline and 30lb Scubapro), weight pockets and trim pockets, 2 Waterproof W3 wetsuits, DSMBs, Spools, Reef hooks, Accel fins. Total weight in a samsonite hard shell roller was a hair under 45lbs. These are regular BP/Ws with hog harnesses, around 7lbs. I could probably shave off a kilo or two total, but it wouldn't make a real difference in travel weight.

I recently returned from 2-1/2 weeks in Indonesia with my DSS steel plate and Torus 26 wing. The steel plate is ideal for diving with a thin to no wetsuit and an aluminum 80, as I only needed around 2-3 pounds of lead (in trim pouches on the cambands). This is not my first such trip, either. Sure, the idea of replacing in my baggage 4 lbs. or so of steel with a few more shirts or another pair of shoes or some souvenirs is tempting. My bag is right at 50 lbs. But the steel plate works just too well. Heck, you can always buy a clean t-shirt from the dive shop if you run short. The kydex plate sounds cool, but I LIKE the weight of the steel plate, and I don't like the idea of a weight belt if I can get away without one.

As far as "bulk" is concerned, I don't see how any other BC, such as those marketed as "travel" BCs, could possibly be less bulky. I remove the wing and fold it in half, just as it came to me in the mail when I bought it from DSS, and place it in my dive bag on top of my wetsuit, which cushions it against direct contact with harder stuff like the plate, lights, regs, etc. I am not familiar with other DSS wings, but the Torus packs as flat as a pancake (well, okay, there's the inflator hose). As I usually remove the cambands for packing and replace them at my destination, the plate too packs pretty flat--the relatively shallow bend helps--and the rest of the harness doesn't seem to really get in the way. The plate plus wing surely must occupy just a few inches of depth in the bag. All said, the BP/W packs much more compactly than my old back-inflate BC. I don't see how anything could pack more compactly than a relatively flat plate and relatively flat wing.

All of this. I do exactly as Lorenzoid describes and I manage to fit ALL my dive gear into a regulation sized American Tourister carry-on. I pack my clothes for a week into a backpack which fits under the seat in front of me and I'm good to go with no checked baggage and all my dive gear intact. TSA has never given me so much as a second look....

I just use my Zeagle Express Tech for travel. Uber light weight and I can get weights when I get where I am going. But, I got mine for a steal from leisure pro as a demo. I would not go and spend what they want for them now, unless you can find a used one in great shape.

Same here. Carry my reg, computer and prescription mask on board. Pack everything else and never went over weight for several 10 day trips to Caribbean. Course I don't expect to wear much in the way of clothes. We got a great deal by buying for three of us at the same time.

I use an al plate for travel. Everyone's a little different with personal bouyancy. I haven't needed any lead when using it with single or doubled al80s and a 5 mm wetsuit or my drysuit. Cost wise it set me back about $75, including webbing and hardware. I've got a 30# singles wing that's s bit large for travel. If I didnt already own the singles wing I'd get a DRIS 18# wing for travel.

Followling this thread with interest as I will be in a similar position in October going from 8-15C water (with a7mm wetsuit, SS BP&W and 12kg of lead) to 25-27C (with probably a 3mm wetsuit). Will have to investigate the relative buoyancy of both suits I guess.

I traveled with my halcyon infinity SS it was not problem tho cause it was still in airline limit, but I wish I have DR hunter or zeagle express, so I can travel light...

I dive a scubapro litehawk and have used it exclusively for the past 4 years. We only vacation dive so I don't consider anything cold water locally. We also only dive warm water where a 3mm hooded vest is the max. Normally I am diving a rash guard or skin suit, al80, and 2 kg lead. I really like litehawk for travel. It packs down to tiny size and is about 5 lb. I have added a pair of stainless d-rings on the hips and I moved one of the 'pockets' to the cam band for trim (in fact I put both kilos there). I also dove this bcd with big steel in Cozumel and no added weight. Overall it is the perfect travel bcd for me and what we dive.

That said, if I already had a backplate setup then I would travel with it. For me, a SS backplate and small wing would basically replicate what I have here except be a little heavier above water and negate any lead I need. If I already dove a bpw setup (and I have considered switching) then I wouldn't bother with a travel bcd.

Rick

I have a DSS stainless steel backplate, DIR harness, and two wings (older 30# DSS and a 55# Hollis). It's been with me in the ocean and also in the local rivers, lakes, and mud puddles. I like it in the water, although with time I may get a newer, smaller capacity, more streamlined donut wing.

The weight and bulk are a liability while traveling to locations where I'll only be diving with a single tank and minimal ballast.

I'm tempted by products like the Aeris (now Oceanic) Jetpack. Light weight, less bulk, back inflate, adjustable harness like a BP/W, designed for travel.

On the other hand there are lightweight BP/W options to consider.

Any advice?

Got the Oceanic Jetpack in August took it on Bahamas live aboard trip, worked excellent for me no problems figuring it out after watching U tube videos.

Last 2 OC dive trips I've used a SS backplate and 18# Oxycheq wing. I got my hands on a Freedom plate for the last one, someone will have to wait until I die before they get that from me. I carried my BP, wing, regs, computer, masks and fins in my carry-on, along with a bathing suit & rash guard.

It all takes a bit to pack, but I can get off the plane and hop in the water right away, and if my checked bag is delayed, I guess I have to stay in the water :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom