Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Power Scuba

Supreme Benchwarmer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Dive boat operator surrenders credentials after death of Tustin diver near Catalina Island last year

By CITY NEWS SERVICE/OC Register

A U.S. Coast Guard investigation into the disappearance and presumed death of a diver near Catalina Island has resulted in the voluntary surrender of the credentials of a dive boat operator, authorities said Wednesday.

The case stemmed from a casualty aboard the 43-foot commercial passenger vessel Sundiver Express, which was operating out of Long Beach, a Coast Guard statement said.

“Under the direction and control of Kyaa Heller, the Sundiver Express departed from a dive site off Catalina Island Dec. 29 while a dive passenger was unaccounted for after entering the water for a recreational dive,” the Coast Guard said.

“A search and rescue effort ensued when the passenger, Laurel Silver-Valker was later discovered missing from the vessel at the next dive site. Silver-Valker was never located and is presumed deceased,” the Coast Guard said.

The Coast Guard investigated, and filed an administrative complaint seeking revocation of Heller's merchant mariner credential, with six alleged offenses, including negligence for failing to maintain proper passenger accountability, and misconduct related to the operation of a commercial vessel.

“In lieu of appearing at a suspension and revocation hearing before a federal administrative law judge, Heller elected to voluntarily surrender her merchant mariner credential to the Coast Guard on June 6, 2016,” the Coast Guard said.

By surrendering her credential, Heller is no longer authorized to serve as “Master of a commercial vessel,” the Coast Guard said.

“This is a tragic case, and our hope is that the small passenger vessel community, and in particular, dive boat operators, take some important lessons from this case to prevent such an incident from ever happening again,” the Coast Guard said.

“There is no excuse for departing a dive site without confirming all passengers are on board and accounted for,” said Lt. Cmdr. Nathan Menefee, senior investigating officer, Sector Los Angeles-Long Beach.

“Passenger vessel operators must take the role and responsibility of Master seriously, as the safety of their passengers is in their hands. The responsibility of a Master cannot be delegated,” Menefee said.

Article continues here: Dive boat operator surrenders credentials after death of Tustin diver near Catalina Island last year

The whole thing is just sad for everyone. The loss of Laurel Silver-Valker is tragic. Captain Kyaa giving up her license is sad, but at least she is accepting responsibility and not fighting it.

I like Captain Kyaa and think she works very hard to give divers a great experience aboard her Sundiver boats. My personal experiences have been nothing but positive.

However, as a Master she has a serious obligation to the people aboard her vessel. And as for the business side of Sundiver... the scuba industry is notorious for poorly managed businesses with shaky finances. It seems that Sundiver's various business entities are no exception.

interesting......condolences to the victims friends and family....

"Passenger vessel operators must take the role and responsibility of Master seriously, as the safety of their passengers is in their hands."

Unfortunate. Kyaa is one of "the good guys". She's one of the very few who understand how to run a professional operation and cater to the right part of the market that ensures the growth of the industry. I'm sure Sundiver will continue to operate. There's nothing preventing Kyaa from being the "Divemaster" on her own boat with another licensed captain. I'd happily volunteer to drive the boat under her (unofficial) command when I'm in town.

Kyaa is running the operations etc. and there are other captains (Including Ray) running the boats. Kyaa may be on board as a DM/Crew but not as a captain. I've been on the boat since this took place and will still continue to go out with them. They run multiple trips (4-5 days a week) and if demand is high they have 3 boats they can run, and will do so. They can cater to hard core tech divers in doubles and rebreathers, and dive 1 open water classes, sometimes on the same boat. Despite the incident I never felt their process was lacking so like I said, I'll keep diving with them.

I don't think she or the divemaster that day should ever work in any way on a dive boat again, and maybe the dive operation shut down. That's twice!

I don't think she or the divemaster that day should ever work in any way on a dive boat again, and maybe the dive operation shut down. That's twice!
She wasn't part of the first incident 12 years ago. And the DM for that previous event was working for the group/shop that chartered the boat, not Sundiver (something that is not done any more). Different boat, different captain, different crew. So no, it is not twice.

So no, it is not twice.
How many times is too many? I know the Coast Guard answer, how many times can you get left behind and you'll still ride with her? Oh, snap. How many times will you let your wife get left behind and you'll still ride with her?

Zero tolerance for Captains who can't count Souls on Board.

How many times is too many? I know the Coast Guard answer, how many times can you get left behind and you'll still ride with her? Oh, snap. How many times will you let your wife get left behind and you'll still ride with her?

Zero tolerance for Captains who can't count Souls on Board.

What is your point? The Captain involved lost her license because of this. My point was that this was not the second event for her, nor were the circumstances the same. So to answer your question- yes, I'll dive with them again, and have since this happened.

Back
Top Bottom