Tipping in Key Largo???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noj3333

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All the diving my wife and I have done has been on Caribbean Islands, and we tip $5-$15+ per tank, depending on the service we get. Is tipping expected in South Florida/ the Keys? If so, would we still be in line tipping about $10/ tank?
Just an FYI
We'll be diving for 3 days, in Key Largo with Rainbow Reef.

Last edited:
Yes, your waitstaff expects 20%, your room steward would like 10% or $10 a day, and your DM would like $10 a tank. The service industry is what it is.

Thanks for the heads up. I have no issue with tipping (for a level of service that's good). I just want to be prepared and have some money on me when we get on the boat.
Anyways... can't wait to get in the water!

I actually feel bad for foreigners. Tipping is so ingrained in our American culture, it's second nature and we expect it, to the point that our only occasional question is "how much?".

Took a trip to Paris a few years ago with the wife for 10th anniversary (was a really big deal for us, not like we're world travelers or anything) and the difference abroad in the whole expectation of tipping is shocking. In some circumstances, it's even insulting. Made me really re-think the differences in cultures and expectations.

I tip $10 per tank in Key Largo. Usually there is more crew on the boats than most of the Caribbean destinations I have been too and the dive op that I use is extremely helpful onboard especially in iffy weather. Conch Republic Divers. I have also tipped in lobsters if we have gone to a hunting permitted site.
I might be inclined to tip less at other dive ops down there if the crew is unfriendly or unhelpful.

Yes please. The cost of living down here is astronomical, and the pay scales miniscule.

I actually feel bad for foreigners. Tipping is so ingrained in our American culture, it's second nature and we expect it, to the point that our only occasional question is "how much?".

Took a trip to Paris a few years ago with the wife for 10th anniversary (was a really big deal for us, not like we're world travelers or anything) and the difference abroad in the whole expectation of tipping is shocking. In some circumstances, it's even insulting. Made me really re-think the differences in cultures and expectations.

This is why it's imperative to do a little research before a trip to each new destination. The answers to under what circumstances to tip and, if so, how much to tip, are all over the Internet, easily found with a few keystrokes. Europeans and Australians (reluctantly?) tip when they visit America and American-infested parts of the world (which is a lot of it nowadays) because they know that's what people are expected to do in such places. When my European in-laws visit my wife and me, it's amusing to watch them awkwardly try to figure out and leave a tip, but they seem keen to fulfill what they see as their duty to follow the local custom.

If so, would we still be in line tipping about $10/ tank?
Just an FYI
We'll be diving for 3 days, in Key Largo with Rainbow Reef.

$10 per tank is reasonable, although consider the level of service. If you have the same experience that I've had with RR, you'll find that $10 per tank is a bargain. They'll make sure you have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom