Does dry air/throat trigger vomiting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jphehe

Contributor
Reaction score
I've read many old threads on vomiting, and I could not find any notion of dry air being a factor to vomiting. My instructor told me that dry air does trigger vomiting when your throat get too dry for some people, and I also noticed this to be true, for me anyway.

Can anyone confirm if dry throat can trigger vomiting?

gag reflex, yes.

Non-smoker.

I've read many old threads on vomiting, and I could not find any notion of dry air being a factor to vomiting. My instructor told me that dry air does trigger vomiting when your throat get too dry for some people, and I also noticed this to be true, for me anyway.

You have confirmed this yourself. You state that you also noticed this to be true, for you anyway. Things that affect one person may never affect another person. Diesel fumes kill me and yet my dive buddy could pretty much sit with his face in the exhaust stack. Different strokes for different folks..

Just wanted to have some confirmation on the medical theory is all.

I also noticed that many people tend to burp or even throw up a little when surfaced.

It can trigger a gag reflex. I periodically move my mouth around in such a way to trigger saliva, and I then use it to bathe my throat.

Just wanted to have some confirmation on the medical theory is all.

I also noticed that many people tend to burp or even throw up a little when surfaced.

Depends on where you are seeing this also. Is this out on the ocean after a dive or in a lake or quarry. I have seen more people burping and tossing chunks due to salt water getting in their mouths than fresh water. That may have more to do with it than dry mouth.

I smoke a pipe. Dry mouth (when it rarely occurs) never bothers me. I haven't puked in decades, and before that was due to over indulgence way up North. Never seasick, roller coaster-sick, etc. I think I is totally dependent on the individual.

...dry air does trigger vomiting...and I also noticed this to be true, for me anyway.

You do.

You presented an interesting theory. How many people does it affect?

If you are constantly collecting saliva to moisten everything and then end up swallowing a lot of that saliva, as you ascend, the air that you are also swallowing with the saliva expands and that will create nausea until you burp it out.

Happens to me all the time so I try not to do it. And I am sometimes nauseated when surfacing until I burp if I have not been as I ascend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom