Feedback on tank positioning.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

13096111_10156864321285134_7510261410885794731_n.jpg
agreed. it is possible to do it though. standard outlet valves, Poseidon first stages, 6" HP hoses and slimline SPG's on the Hollis Katana. Apparently I was inhaling during this picture.... You can see the SPG just under the date stamp, certainly not something that is going to drag. Note the slight rotation of the first stage towards the chest which helps to angle the SPG into the center of the body. If it is straight up it will be under your arm and that's bad

I think I'd like to try all the variants... regarding the "SPGs alongside tanks" option, is the idea what's shown below? Outlets facing up, not using the 5th port, SPG on the back, lower attachments moved in line with valve stems to turn the valve knobs slightly inwards. Isn't it going to be hard to access the SPGs in this setup? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

The side of the tanks that will be facing up:

Right tank:

Left tank:

The first stage MUST be tilted if using lollipops so the lollipops press against your chest. This was mentioned by Babyduck back in post #8, but I think you missed it.

If you have the first stages pointing up towards the body, with most first stage designs nothing needs to be angled at all.

Oliver, depends on the orientation of your tanks. If the valve posts are up/down you're correct, but if they are pointing straight out you have to rotate the first stage a bit to point them back towards the center of your body otherwise the hose is trying to be right under your arm. If you have short/stiff hoses i.e. 6" braided hoses you can actually cause the tanks to a-frame when you "hug" the pressure gauges. With the first stages angled in there's no pressure on the hoses.

@kr2y5 correct on the hose routing. This is similar to the Razor style hose routing in terms of spg orientation. Your attachment points should be a bit closer to the valve outlet in terms of orientation so they hang properly, only an inch or so towards the outlet of the tank will be enough. Your SPG's should be riding straight up essentially. To read them you reach back, hook one with your arm and pull it up to look at it. Those appear to be 6" hoses and this is best done with 9" hoses, especially with valves farther back like you are trying to get them

get the canister off of your waist belt. It shouldn't be there in sidemount unless it is on a small handful of rigs.

Right bottle is OK, bottom might be a bit too high depending on what tank pressure it is at, but it's not bad. If you are lollipopping your SPG's, the valve outlet should be face down, especially if the necks are up where they are supposed to be. That will go a long way in allowing everything to come up

You might want valve outlet face up if you are cave diving.

why? my chest contacts the floor long before the first stage ever can. Picture above is with 7.25" tanks, if the tanks are actually parallel to your bodies centerline, which they aren't with the Razor btw, then both the tank wall and your chest will contact the floor. To get the first stage in the silt you have to be digging a hole.

Ok, since I don't have longer HP hoses, I'm going to try the angled first stages variant first. Let me confirm that I understand what you're proposing, how much to adjust, tilt, etc. Here's what I got, please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. With the valve outlets facing out (downwards), lower attachments are not in line with the valve stem, but an inch or so towards the valve outlet.

2. When we mount the tanks, we want the attachments to rotate the valve knobs slightly downwards and outlets inwards towards the center (front view on the tanks, as they would be hanging on the diver).

3. Regulators are tilted to bring the SPGs roughly in line with the tank bottoms, like this.

Yes?

the regs are right, but the lower attachment should be about an inch behind the valve stem with the first stages down. You have regs right for valve down, and attachment points right for valve up

I think I'd like to try all the variants... regarding the "SPGs alongside tanks" option, is the idea what's shown below? Outlets facing up, not using the 5th port, SPG on the back, lower attachments moved in line with valve stems to turn the valve knobs slightly inwards. Isn't it going to be hard to access the SPGs in this setup? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

This SPG routing is how everyone I've dived with has them configured. It's not hard to check for gas like that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom